Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 1995 f250 7.3 for about a year now and the front leaf springs are pretty wore out. I went and looked at them and I think the guy before me tried to lift my truck a cheap way. Instead of the original factory 2 leaf leaf pack in the front there are the 2 original plus and add a leaf with 4 more short leafs after that. The rear springs there is 5 leafs in the pack. I'm riding on 33's. So I'm curious if the guy tried to put a 4 inch lift on this truck the cheap way? I'm looking at buying 4 inch front leave springs from this guy for real cheap and need to know if it won't be a stupid buy. Please help ASAP

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah from the sounds of it, some one may have tried to put their own leveling kit or what have you on there. There should be just two semi elliptical leaf springs, two springs make up the stock leaf pack... Beware though if you do buy those springs, you will also need drop brackets for the beams, to get the camber back to factory specs. A drop pitman arm should also be in there as well. Post a pic if you could...

·
Registered
252 Posts
This is not "Urgent" at all.

-Phillip

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is when I would like to buy these springs tomorrow and I'm getting ready to go on a road trip this weekend and my tires are running on my wheel wells and taking chunks off. Bud

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do I need the drop brakets right away or can it wait? I'm not very educated in the suspension area so sorry if that's a stupid question

·
Registered
115 Posts
a picture would really help the best to see exactly how high you are sitting compared to stock. If in fact you are 4" over stock right now, and your tires havent been wearing all goofy (good alignment), than no, i drop bracket isnt necessary right now

·
PSN local
161 Posts
You don't necessarily need it right away...but with that being said you will have a rough ride and the steering wheel will not be right and tires probably won't be sitting correctly and depending on how long your trip is your tires might get chewed up

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I uploaded a pic and set it as my profile pic. That's the best I can do right now. I have an alignment rack to my disposal after I install these springs. If I were to buy drop brakets where would I get the right ones? The springs are 01-204 from superlift and all I'm getting is the springs. Where could I buy the brakets? Are brakets and shackles the same thing?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Unless your truck has 4" drop brackets on there currently, then NO, you can NOT run 4" lift springs.
And if your truck DOES have the 4" drop brackets then you will be gaining NOTHING by taking out the mini packs and replacing them with "lift springs" other than a worse ride.

You are most likely eating tires, because your alignment is off(like most TTB trucks)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
image_zps9df7957f.jpg Photo by Nicholas_Parker_Roenicke | Photobucket
Here is the picture
And -diesel brad my spring are sagging bad right now. The whole point of this is to agree that the guy before me tried to get a cheap 4 inch lift but throwing an add a leaf to the original 2 spring then throwing on 4 short leafs as like make shift blocks all together as to about a 4 inch increase over stock. I talked to superlift and I can buy drop brakets and put them on. That's the answer I need is would it bring my front end back up to match te back. My front end has the original springs on it is all the crap the guy added.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And my tires are rubbing on my wells because my suspension is sagging so bad I just did an alignment a week ago and the shop told my my springs are in definite need of replacing. I've got about 2.5-3 inches of inverted bend on my springs and the last time a checked that was a little to much. What I'm trying to get across is the guy who put the spring on that are on now obviously tried to lift it by adding the extra add a leaf and short leafs. I'm tryin to turn around and do it the right way by throwing on 4 inch leaf springs with the drop brackets. To gain back what I Lost and hopefully level my truck back out. I need springs bad. I can get these springs from a guy for cheap and hopefully would fix my problem. Other then that I'm not sure what to do

·
Registered
58 Posts
a picture of the springs on there and the beams would go a long way in everyone helping you. At this point it might be a better idea just to buy a complete 4 inch lift or what ever size you desire, that will come with drop brackets, brake lines possibly and a drop pitman... the ttb setup you have is prone to wear and going out of spec even on stock trucks... the mis matched parts you have now are most likely aiding in the cause of your'e tires wearing un evenly. I think it would make more sense for you just to start fresh with a whole kit. there are adjustable bushings/sleeves for the upper ball joint to fix these issues with leveled trucks and get your camber and caster back into spec. But at this point the best thing i can tell you is just get a whole kit, yes it is more expensive than just springs, but it sure as hell will save you a headache.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ok, yup im not sure about that ever being 4 inches, most likely 2.5 or three, but yes that is some sort of leveling kit, as it appears you do not i repeat do not have drop brackets on the truck right now. You do how ever have adjustable bushings on the upper balljoint to get the camber and caster back to proper spec. So the original guy that did this had some idea of what he was doing... it may have been within spec at one time, but sadly these front ends are notorious for going out on people for alot of reasons other than worn parts, wheel bearings, ball joints, etc. the second shock appears to be from some aftermarket kit as well. With all that said i still would highly advise you getting a whole kit at this point. You can most likely make do with this for now if you want, or put it up on the rack and see if you can get it back into spec to fix you're tire wear issue, if there are not other worn parts. Otherwise i advise you get a whole kit, put it on and throw it back up on the machine.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I talked to superlift today and they said they would send me the rest of the kit that the springs I want to by belong to for 375$ so I'm going to by the leaf springs anyways but I also have the rest of the 4 inch kit coming to. Drop brakets and all

1 - 20 of 38 Posts