Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My '97 250 was beginning to leak out of the fuel bowl drain tap so i bought a seal kit for it, pulled the bowl out which was pretty clogged up as was the filter.
I re did all the seals, cleaned all the bits and put a new filter in. could only get the shorter SD one would this be an issue?
I gave the pre filter a blow out (the one in the brass housing behind the c-clip)
found the little ball thats a part of the orifice vent kit running round on the bench with no idea where it came from, did a search and found this link....
FPR Screen Cleaned - Where's the ball....? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

going off the pic the ball goes in after the plastic bit but i havent got a prescreen there so the ball would just fall into the filter, i also read else where that the ball goes into the FPR body then the plastic. i put the ball in the FPR body.

While i was at it i did the BB mod, here in Australia, BB guns are hard to come by thus the BB pellets are too, so i used a 6mm ball bearing behind the triangle steel bit. was that too big?

So after all that i reinstalled the fuel bowl, didnt plug the heater plug back in (the two pin plug under the FPR) cranked it over, crap left the drain open!
cranked again, again etc.
nothing. it glows fine, fuel bowl is priming.
I tried bleeding through the schrader valve, got plenty of fuel no air.
tried cranking it nothing. batteries started dying so i spat the dummy.

is there anything that i have done that i could have stuffed up?
any advice on how to prime the system further?
is the ball in the wrong spot etc

any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
That little ball is supposed to go behind the screen that takes in fuel from the filter. I don't think u necessarily need it, mines been missin for years and she runs just fine.

You got air in the heads, it's gonna take a little more cranking the first time to start after doing then orings.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
The Bb is in the correct spot

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply.
I pulled the ball out, primed it. cranked and cranked nothing.
another forum suggested it might be filter, SD instead of OBS but the internal lug that pushes the plunger in the fuel bowl is the same length so i cant see an issue there.
I reckon im sucking air, changed the fuel lines, suspect the shrader valve. it leaks 2 secs after cranking for a dozen drops so that might be sucking air in. wanted to cap it off but couldnt get a cap in town.
Ive spat the dummy, thrown the toys out of the cot. also run out of time so ive admitted defeat and ask a mechanic to come play with it.
In the process to gather the parts to do the e-conversion. with off the shelf parts here in aust to save little hassles like this down the track. ie if the fuel pump goes ive got a 2 week wait for one to get here from the states. painful.

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
A 2 week wait for stock fuel pump!?!?? That's very painful. Have you checked fuel pressure at the Schrader yer? I'm not sure on the filter thing...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Have you checked the fuel bowl harness to be sure it's plugged back in properly? Sounds to me like your not getting high pressure oil. The IPR is also on the bowl harness and if its not plugged in the truck won't start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi, thanks again for the replies. seems the ute has thrown me a curve ball with the glow plug relay crapping out at the same time. so now ive got a task of finding a new one. going to cross my fingers and ring a wreckers tomorrow, if i can get a second hand one for the time being and fire the ute up ill be happy. going to have to order one in from the states.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
GET RID OF THE SUPERDUTY FILTER.

It is NOT the right one and will not filter. Might as well not even run a filter with that one

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I am saying slow down and back up for a second. If it ran, but leaked fuel before you tore it apart, the idea of GPR and fuel pump going bad while it was apart seems mathematically unlikely. Therefore I lean back to something that went on in the bowl. I could see the fuel pump going bad after startup perhaps just due to new pressures. Eventhough the filters are only one part number different, I think the oBS is taller, so I think you need that for it to seal. I could be wrong. Like PP said, perhaps your not plugged in everywhere and perhaps you need the right filter first. I would check the full pressure while cranking, and if that is good, unplug and replug everything, if that doesn't work, even try plugging it in for two hours(eliminating weak injectors)

·
mech 1
288 Posts
trouble shoot this way start at the heads open the fuel lines on the heads turn key on see if you get fuel if not bolt them back break them at the filter see if you get fuel if you dont break them at the fuel bowl intake see if you get fuel if you get fuel then the problem is the fuel bowl or how you hooked the lines back if you dont its the fuel pump inbetween where the fuel starts and stops it your problem if you cant find some thing forward always check reverse to make sure and if you didnt have glow plug issue before its probably a grouding issue so to check that get a peice of wire run from battery ground to the bolting flange at the bottom of the relay

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
trouble shoot this way start at the heads open the fuel lines on the heads turn key on see if you get fuel if not bolt them back break them at the filter see if you get fuel if you dont break them at the fuel bowl intake see if you get fuel if you get fuel then the problem is the fuel bowl or how you hooked the lines back if you dont its the fuel pump inbetween where the fuel starts and stops it your problem if you cant find some thing forward always check reverse to make sure and if you didnt have glow plug issue before its probably a grouding issue so to check that get a peice of wire run from battery ground to the bolting flange at the bottom of the relay
This is a OBS truck with a mechanical fuel pump so just turning the key on will not help. That is until he gets his E fuel set up.

·
Registered
932 Posts
you probably just popped the pcm fuse if you let the fuel heater wire just hang there someplace. This would give you a crank no start and also no glow plug operation. the wait to start would not illuminate either. I dont believe your problem is fuel related. even with having all that apart...any fuel present at all near the injectors and it would try and do something...puff white smoke at least.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts