Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would cause the upper filter to be empty when you remove the top? It's a 2003 with a new HFCM, but that didn't fix it. It starts and shuts off most of the time about 3 times before it keeps running, then it will start ok the rest of the day.

·
Let er eat
51 Posts
There's a valve at the bottom of the housing that the filter presses on and as soon as u unscrew it that open and drains the fuel. Leave the filter out and the lid off, turn the key on and see if it fills up. Should fill it quickly I'd check that first.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,327 Posts
There's a valve at the bottom of the housing that the filter presses on and as soon as u unscrew it that open and drains the fuel. Leave the filter out and the lid off, turn the key on and see if it fills up. Should fill it quickly I'd check that first.
This is true of the oil filter. I have not heard of this for the fuel filter.

·
Registered
650 Posts
This is true of the oil filter. I have not heard of this for the fuel filter.
Tis true. Without the filter in place the fuel just returns to the tank and won't build any pressure.

·
SLAPS President
117 Posts
Tis true. Without the filter in place the fuel just returns to the tank and won't build any pressure.
Mine doesn't. Never has and I am the one that has changed those fuel filters every 15K since the truck was new(113K on it now). I've always had to siphon the fuel out.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Only time I had an issue like this was after working on the water drain plug (mine was sealed to the pump cover) and the new plug didn't seal fully. I could build nothing more than 10psi in the upper filter (where my fuel pressure sensor is. I tried a few times to turn the key on with the filter cap off to see if it was getting fuel and at best I got a little flow barely building an 1/8" of fuel into the bottom of the upper filter housing. We cleaned out the threads some more where the plug goes into the HFCM and after that it worked great.

Not saying thats your problem, but its an example. Guessing maybe you got a air leak somewhere in the new HFCM causing the issue.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,327 Posts
Mine doesn't. Never has and I am the one that has changed those fuel filters every 15K since the truck was new(113K on it now). I've always had to siphon the fuel out.
Me too. I ALWAYS siphon it out as well! Maybe the earlier model years would drain .....

·
Registered
360 Posts
Is the little stand in the center cracked? Maybe you have an injector that is blowing compression back into the fuel system when cold causing the air lock on the upper filter. Just a couple of possibilities.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
The problem with that theory Mark, is mine is an early 03....
The early ones didn't have the fuel line bent with the trap in it. It was known to leak back to the tank over night. Get the feed line from the later trucks.

·
SLAPS President
117 Posts
The early ones didn't have the fuel line bent with the trap in it. It was known to leak back to the tank over night. Get the feed line from the later trucks.
Weird... Mine does not seem to have that problem....

·
Registered
650 Posts
OK guys I stand corrected. I pulled my oil/fuel filter housing out over the weekend. When you put the filter in it pushes down on the lower half of the black plastic center piece and allows fuel to flow to the heads. Lift the filter out and no more fuel flow. The problem with mine was a bad spring in the pressure regulator not putting enough pressure on the poppet to shut of the flow at the fuel return. There is an upgrade kit from Ford with a stronger spring for like $80 or you can do the BB mod. I was lazy and I just stretched the spring a bit. Cleaned it all up and put it back together except for the center part. I left that out so that I don't need a filter in that fuel bowl anymore. I have a Airdog2 DF165 and no longer need that filter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts