Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my bad stock OEM 200 amp alternator with a DC High Output 270 amp alternator. Since I went up in amperage, should I upgrade my wire size to protect the wire from a possible melt down? Eventually I plan on installing a Warn 12,000 winch and I don’t want to have any issues with the wire getting hot or melting. So is there a company that makes pre-whipped alternator wires that are bigger in wire size and what wire size should I be using if my alternator is 270 amps? I was told that I could piggy back a size 0 awg to my alternator post and hit a 250 amp ANL in line fuse and then to the positive battery post, use a size 0 awg piggy back on the negative post and hit a good ground source. Was wanting to be clean install and that’s why I’m asking if anybody makes a upgrade alternator wire kit that is vehicle specific. Thank you!

·
Registered
313 Posts
you need 4/0 or more to carry that kind of amperage for any amount of time besides i think thats peak not steady load i would never believe you would carry that kind of load for any amount of time. Idk about the pre made wire harness it would be a good idea to double up if you put more than 150 (170 max for 1/0) amps load or more on it though put an amp meter on there load it up and see where your at bet your not close.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what your saying is that I need 4 runs of 0 awg instead of 2 runs? Could I go bigger than 0 awg instead of running 4 runs of 0 awg? If so what size would you recommend? Am I putting my alternator at risk right now running on the stock alternator wires? Thank you!

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
I had a 270 amp alt on my 2002 7.3
You absolutely do not need to upgrade your wiring. The 1/0 under your hood is fine. Just make sure whatever electronics you may be feeding all that extra juice to (winch, large sound system, etc...) has the correct sized wire ran to it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
He made it way easier than what i put in there. look up wire size charts this will work as a guide for you

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
He made it way easier than what i put in there. look up wire size charts this will work as a guide for you
I ran a 3000 RMS watt amp at 1ohm daily, along with a large speaker amp, with the stock 1/0 batt cables and alternator wire without problem. Im not saying its a bad idea to upgrade, but you will be fine if you dont.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts