Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
cainbr
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just jumped in to another round of upgrades and maintenance. On the agenda is HPOP replacement to Dieselsite Adrenaline, Dieselsite HPOP expanded oil reservoir, EBPV delete, turbo rebuild with Wicked Wheel install, Riff Raff bellowed up-pipes, new fuel pump, fuel bowl re-build, and complete coolant flush with install of 203* thermostat and Dieselsite billet thermostat housing. All of this will include new seals, o-rings, tubing, fuel lines and oil lines. Will all of this is the added bonus of cleaning 200,000 miles of grime in the "valley of death".

Also the best part is getting to work with my daughter on the project. While she was cleaning parts she told me she was looking forward to the day when the truck would be hers. I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Sounds like a great plan! Really happy to see a youngster not holding a phone. Great job man.

If you don't mind, what is the benefit of the expanded oil reservoir? Can't say I've ever seen one. For the thermostat housing, did you find one for an OBS, or are you using one for a super duty?

Good luck cleaning parts!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Project Shamu
2,997 Posts
That does sound fantastic. Both my daughter and son can't wait to start working on stuff with me, but both are still just a little too young.

As far as the extended oil reservoir, I believe they are unnecessary until you get up there in HP, as typically you use them with dual HPOPs or if you need an oil return for a 2nd turbo etc. On a stock-ish truck, they don't do much.

Can't wait to see it finished! And more pics!

·
cainbr
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very little screen time for the kiddos. Bored? Read a book, go outside and play, or help dad with a project!

If you don't mind, what is the benefit of the expanded oil reservoir? Can't say I've ever seen one. For the thermostat housing, did you find one for an OBS, or are you using one for a super duty?
Good questions. At this point the reservoir was more of a "why not?". That is the danger in window shopping Riff Raff, Full Force, DieselSite, etc. It wouldn't be needed unless I was going for big HP, which I am not. It does allow for the use of the SD gasket which integrates a screen for the HPOP oil which seems like a plus.
For the thermostat housing I purchased the KB Diesel (not DieselSite) housing (p/n KBDTHOBS-B). It is made for the OBS. It is the long neck version as I believe the SD one has a very short neck.

I will post more pics on the progress.
Currently trying to install the up-pipes. Passenger side was pretty easy but the driver's side doesn't seem to have enough room. Any suggestions? I have seen some remove the transmission support beam to let the transmission and engine drop a bit. Others show unbolting the engine mount and jacking the engine up a bit to give room.

Reactions: Blue-Truck-Nut97

·
cainbr
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Up-pipes are installed! If I am ever asked what is the best technique to get them in I will answer "all of them!" I removed the transmission support, disconnected drive shaft, lowered the transmission to tilt the engine back, raised the transmission to tilt the engine forward, disconnected the motor mounts, jacked one side of the motor up to tilt one way, then did the same on the other side. With all of this came liberal use of a pry bar. The issue was the driver side pinch weld for the cab next to the manifold. I just could not get enough clearance. I even tried sliding a scissor jack between the engine and the weld to press the wall out a bit. I can't say which of these methods ultimately worked, but patience and perseverance are required.

Overall took me 6 hours to get them in and the collector bolted in place. I was trying to avoid pulling the transmission out, but in the end that would have probably been the easier path. Oh well. Now on to hpop installation.

Reactions: Blue-Truck-Nut97

·
cainbr
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some more pics of the progress. One more good night of work and should be ready to fire up.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Nice work, great to have young ones involved. On my trucks I typically bend the pinch weld back for the entire length from passenger side to drivers side. Place a few vertical cuts in the pinch and bend over, I use a hydraulic jack and length of 2x4 and hammer. This is when tranny is pulled out. Also push the fire wall back in vicinity of up pipe/exhaust manifold connection, using hydraulic jack or now hydraulic ram kit. This creates enough room to easily slide up pipe out or maintenance.

Why not go electric fuel? Much more reliable then stock, easy to piece together a DIY or buy prebuilt kit. Stock will leak on you, just a matter of time.

·
cainbr
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice work, great to have young ones involved. On my trucks I typically bend the pinch weld back for the entire length from passenger side to drivers side. Place a few vertical cuts in the pinch and bend over, I use a hydraulic jack and length of 2x4 and hammer. This is when tranny is pulled out. Also push the fire wall back in vicinity of up pipe/exhaust manifold connection, using hydraulic jack or now hydraulic ram kit. This creates enough room to easily slide up pipe out or maintenance.
I am kicking myself a bit for not doing this when I had the transmission out last year to change the clutch. When I pull the tranny again to rebuild I will make sure to do some work on the pinch weld.

Why not go electric fuel? Much more reliable then stock, easy to piece together a DIY or buy prebuilt kit. Stock will leak on you, just a matter of time.
I will for sure install electric fuel but wasn't prepared at the moment to drop the coin on a prebuilt kit. I am very interested in the DIY method as I have seen some reference to the process. Do you have any recommendations for good write-ups on going DIY?

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I am kicking myself a bit for not doing this when I had the transmission out last year to change the clutch. When I pull the tranny again to rebuild I will make sure to do some work on the pinch weld.
Easy to do even with a bottle jack and 2x4, ideally if you have a hydraulic ram kit will even easier, specifically why I bought a kit with a duck bill and various attachments to do down pipes with.

I will for sure install electric fuel but wasn't prepared at the moment to drop the coin on a prebuilt kit. I am very interested in the DIY method as I have seen some reference to the process. Do you have any recommendations for good write-ups on going DIY?
Lots of info in a sticky on this site. On the last one I built used Russell fitting and hose, on top the block and plumbed in to banjo bolts at the back each head. Used stock 7.3 electric pump, Donaldson spin on water separator pre pump and Cat 2 micron post pump down inside the frame rail drivers side between tank switch and transfer case. I’d not worry about a fuel heater, least in Canada, additive package from suppliers is very robust so no gelling in winter.
Cheers,
j

·
cainbr
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks JCart. That is a great resource. I will probably start collecting the parts and tackle in the summer.

I got everything buttoned up late last night. Took a bit longer than I expected since I kept finding little things to fix throughout the process. Amazing what you can see and have access to once everything is off the top of the engine. Biggest struggle was with the power steering pump. It had been slowly leaking for a long time and had created a giant oily mess on the driver's side of the engine. I pulled it out and rebuilt with new seals and flushed the system. I neglected to pay attention to how it came apart and I re-assembled the pump incorrectly. It took me two evenings of fighting with it in the truck to realize my error. Luckily nothing seems to have broken and now that it is assembled properly it works great. Not bad for an $8 seal kit.

Late last night I finally got it started up and took it for a quick test drive. WOW! Feels like a new truck. It was a short drive but I can already tell the Adrenaline HPOP makes a massive difference. I haven't been able to use many of the tunes on my chip because of the old/tired HPOP. I am excited to play with it more this weekend.

Thanks everyone for your help and listening ear. This site has the best people and information for these beautiful old trucks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks JCart. That is a great resource. I will probably start collecting the parts and tackle in the summer.

I got everything buttoned up late last night. Took a bit longer than I expected since I kept finding little things to fix throughout the process. Amazing what you can see and have access to once everything is off the top of the engine. Biggest struggle was with the power steering pump. It had been slowly leaking for a long time and had created a giant oily mess on the driver's side of the engine. I pulled it out and rebuilt with new seals and flushed the system. I neglected to pay attention to how it came apart and I re-assembled the pump incorrectly. It took me two evenings of fighting with it in the truck to realize my error. Luckily nothing seems to have broken and now that it is assembled properly it works great. Not bad for an $8 seal kit.

Late last night I finally got it started up and took it for a quick test drive. WOW! Feels like a new truck. It was a short drive but I can already tell the Adrenaline HPOP makes a massive difference. I haven't been able to use many of the tunes on my chip because of the old/tired HPOP. I am excited to play with it more this weekend.

Thanks everyone for your help and listening ear. This site has the best people and information for these beautiful old trucks.
$8 seal kit? Where did you get that from? I'd be willing to give that a shot to get some more miles out of my old one.

·
cainbr
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$8 seal kit? Where did you get that from? I'd be willing to give that a shot to get some more miles out of my old one.
I found it at Oreilly auto parts. Part # 28401425. Outside of my boneheaded lack of attention to detail it was a pretty easy job. Here is a link to a helpful video on the process.

Eventually I would like to upgrade to the saginaw mod or the 6.0 mod (if I can source the parts), but for now it seems to have helped a lot and well worth the $8. Added bonus with the newly flushed and clean fluid she turns quite nicely.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I found it at Oreilly auto parts. Part # 28401425. Outside of my boneheaded lack of attention to detail it was a pretty easy job. Here is a link to a helpful video on the process.

Eventually I would like to upgrade to the saginaw mod or the 6.0 mod (if I can source the parts), but for now it seems to have helped a lot and well worth the $8. Added bonus with the newly flushed and clean fluid she turns quite nicely.
Thanks!

Yeah, the Saginaw mod would be ideal, but that would be a project for another day for me as well. I'd like to also go hydro boost, but yeah, another day. For now, a PS pump that doesn't leak would be nice

1 - 13 of 13 Posts