Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting swamps 235/100 hybrids and a 38r, i upgraded my clutch to a south bend thats suppose to hold 375 rwhp a while back but am going to be way over that. What upgrades or where in the DFW area can I get my transmission built for a street friendly setup? Ive heard a heavy duty south bend will tear up my transmission, anybody heard of this?

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
In my opinion the rest of your tranny will be fine, the only issue would be the clutch. If the tranny feels strong now, leave it and get a clutch that will hold the power. The zf6 is a really stout trans!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know hybrids and a 38r are a common setup, what are other zf6's running for clutches and transmission upgrades?

·
253 Posts
I don't think I'd worry about it too much. I'd stud the heads before messing with the clutch again. It should make about 400-450 to the tires. What's the worst that could happen, the clutch slips at wot?

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
I'm running a SB single disc 450hp clutch right now and with the way Matt tunes it will only slip at WOT for a sec then it grabs again.

I will be upgrading to a Valair 600hp single disc when ever this one goes out though. They are around $500 and hold good. Andy (moore20017.3) on here has one and makes over 530+hp and tows heavy with it.

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
At your level you only need a clutch that can hold - internal mods are not necessary/do not exist. You buy some billet shafts and throw in there - but last I heard the estimated cost for the output was going to be in the $1200 range.

The ZF6 is not a "drag racing" trans - so if your shifting "too fast" for it you rip out the synchros - the only solution is to install new synchros. Going to a dual disk clutch you will actually have more mass that is changing speeds causing your synchros to go out faster if you don't change your driving habits accordingly. If the synchros go out its the drivers fault, not the clutch.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, thanks for the input. I think I have the synchros not grabbing in 2nd, guess Ill replace those. Anybody else using a valair?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts