Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As to be expected, my opaque lenses are horrible in my 2000 Excursion. Compounding the problem are both my left and right harness, which cause my headlight to go bright or dim if shaken. It's a good thing these trucks could liquefy a deer on impact. Otherwise driving at night could be rather hazardous.

My limited research has led me to the conclusion that the 05 headlights really aren't any brighter than the 02-04 clear lenses. It sounds like most people upgrade to the 05s for the looks. I also read the 9008 harness is known to melt? In addition, there appears to be some cutting involved in fitting the 05s. This has me leaning towards the 02-04 clear lenses, that will bolt right in and look fine to me.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I am not interested in HIDs. I don't want to have to worry about the reliability of ballasts in an environment full of heat, moisture, and vibration.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Where should I get a set of 02-04 OEM headlamp assemblies? Tousley Ford has them for $147.71 per side. Hopefully someone can do better than that. Looking for companies, not Ebay sellers.

2. Since I am going to have to replace both harnesses anyway, are there any worthwhile upgrades I can do in that department? I read about people installing upgraded harnesses from gosracing.com that, from my understanding, uses relays to take ~14V directly from the batteries, as apposed to the ~12V they get through the factory harness. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anything on their site and have a feeling they might not offer them any more. In my search, I also found a link to an upgraded harness found here. Please educate me on any reliability issues, ect. Are there any other options out there?

3. Are there any upgrades I can do as far as the bulbs are concerned? Silver stars sound good, but I was thinking more along the lines of higher wattage bulbs. This is probably dependent on upgrading the harness.

Any links, prices, ect. to aid in my research will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. If any vendors have a good solution for me, shoot me a PM. I'm ready to order.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I didn't realize that I would need the side markers as well. Through Tousley that's an additional $100.

headlamp assy all Right - $147.71
headlamp assy all Left - $147.71
park & side lamp all Right - $50.13
park & side lamp all Left - $50.13
Sub Total: $395.68

There has to be somewhere cheaper than $400 for new OEM headlight assemblies.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
I love you bigrpowr!
1,181 Posts
Below is the GOS link for the harness. You will be able to find it cheaper if you Google 9007 harness. I believe the wiring harness for our trucks needs to be longer than normal to fit well. Make sure that the narness you get will be long enough. I know the GOS harness will work but some of the other harnesses may not work as well.

9007 Upgraded Headlight Harness

If you want new lights, get them from LMC. You can get both headlights and the markers for $280 plus shipping. You will most likely be able to find them much cheaper in the For Sale section or Ebay but they are going to be used. I bought my set for $150 I think a couple years ago. It might have been cheaper but I cannot remember. You also may be able to get the headlights and markers from Sun Rise Ford cheap. They are a site vendor.

LMC Superduty 02-04 Headlights and Markers

You can also get the new style taillights from LMC cheap.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have some clear turn signals that I could sell you a lot cheaper if your interested. They maybe have 15k on them

1 - 5 of 5 Posts