Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
who the what?
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to replace the up-pipes on the truck probably Monday, but was just looking at them to see how big a pain it was going to be.

Was just wondering if you can just cut the bolts off that hold them onto the manifold??

seems like it would be a lot easier than trying to get a wrench in there... the kit from BWD comes with new hardware (unless it's hardware for something else, haven't got the box yet)

so can I bust out the ole sawzall? or is there something i'm missing

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
You can cut them off fine. But if the engine is from up north plan on the bolts themselves being completely seized in the bore of the manifold. I had to torch mine out when I did it the first time.

And the bolts on the manifolds are the LEAST of your worries, lol.

Have you taken a look at the ones on the back of the collector right at the turbine inlet? Oh wait, you can't really look at them :D

·
who the what?
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually i was thinking of just taking the sawzall and cutting the actual pipes off at the collector too... since my TN turbo with less than 5k took a poop on me tuesday, i can see the collector just fine.

i like the sawzall... :D

·
OEM Moderator
9,379 Posts
The kit from BWD should have all the hardware if it is the one with bellows. Did you get the coated stuff?

Tom

·
who the what?
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
;) yessir...

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
I'd recommend pulling the downpipe out if you can, gives you a little more clearance for your hands on the passenger manifold bolts.

Other than, just take your time, and don't lose your patience. It was a bitch

·
Bleau May
633 Posts
I pulled mine to put the H2E on and it isn't that bad. I don't know what you guys have for a tools but it isn't as difficult as everyone makes it sound.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
What actually goes wrong with these pipes that require maint? I have no issue with mine at the moment, but I am planning or a reg return kit and taking my turbo off to do some changes. Would it be smart to address these despite no current issue. The truck rarely sees and snow or salt.

·
Hated by All
747 Posts
Are the up-pipes identical on each side of the block??
I got new pipes sent to me, but they are identical.

·
Local Machine Gun Builder
496 Posts
I pulled mine to put the H2E on and it isn't that bad. I don't know what you guys have for a tools but it isn't as difficult as everyone makes it sound.
I agree, but there seems to be a lot of folks out there who don't know which end of a wrench is which:confused: Fortunately most of them stayed at the other site:rockwoot:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I agree, but there seems to be a lot of folks out there who don't know which end of a wrench is which:confused: Fortunately most of them stayed at the other site:rockwoot:
I think it is a lot easier with the turbo pulled. Brian (BTS) said he would pull the tranny to put new up-pipes on. Of course he pulls a tranny in less than 30 minutes.

·
who the what?
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
anybody know the size o-ring that goes between the turbo and ... (i think it's called baby's butt) not the ped, it's like 2 or 3 inches around, probable metric...

I left mine on the old turbo that went back to TN for replacement.
searched the other site, but couldn't find a size, just a warning not to loose it...lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts