Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after reading and reading about changing up pipes, I dove in and did it without much trouble. Thought I would share my experience and possibly save some of us some time and anxiety.

First, I used MANY swivel sockets, elbows, extensions and reducers/adapters. I kept reading how you needed to pull the trans, or fabricate tools, tie them up with string, etc., to get the job done. I'll start with the turbo manifold first. Used swivels and elbows to get to all the 15MM bolts. No problem. No need for using a hammer and wrench.

Second. For the 10mm bolts holding the up pipes in at the turbo manifold, I used from UNDERNEATH ON DRIVER SIDE, lots of extensions, an elbow in the middle, a 3/8-1/4 reducer at the middle elbow and an additional 1/4 elbow right before the 10mm socket. You may can get away with a 10mm swivel straight to the extension, but I didn't try since the first combo worked.

PASSENGER SIDE was easy, not so many extensions.

Third, with all the extensions/elbows/etc, you are going to lose torque setting accuracy....so I just tightened the hell out of it best I could. Broke one or two 1/4 elbows, but they are CRAFTSMAN, I get new ones for free :)

I used stock donuts and they seem to be working fine. I went against advice and used "used" up pipes and they seem to be fine for now. No machining, etc. The used up pipes did not have many miles on them.

Hope this helps, as I had MAJOR anxiety before crawling up under there and just doing it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I wonder if you have more clearance from underneath with a manual trans? Between my E4OD and large downpipe I didn't have much clearance under there. The second time I changed my donuts I had the trans out so it was much easier ;)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
that probably is the case with a manual trans. I also have the e40d and had to remove exhaust system, to do passenger side, but I have a larger dp also. It was a b1tch to get out, I think I had at least 6 hours on the one side, just nothing seemed to work, but I finally got it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts