Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did an up pipe for a customer and they wanted the cheapest one possible....turbo exhaust inlet is crusty rusty but even when the y pipe is seated in it I still get a lot of wiggle...like the inner flange on the cheap up pipe is too small... I can't get it to seal...should I get a higher quality up pipe or is the rusty turbo side causing it to not seal? Tia what up pipes do you guys recommend

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I've always used Ford or Intl parts for something like that, so unfortunately I can't recommend anything cheaper. However, I would imagine any reputable company, like MBRP, BD Diesel, etc, would make a quality piece as well. Heck, I'd even go for a junkyard piece for the Y over a cheap, ill-fitting one.

I do have a question or two, though. You said you did an up-pipe and that the Y pipe isn't seating right and is mis-sized. It sounds like they wanted you to buy the whole thing then? Like, you got the whole thing? Two up pipes connected to the Y? If so, why not just disconnect the Y and re-use the old one? Or are the bellows cracked on the Y and that's what you replaced and we're just using different terminology? Out of curiosity, what brand did they have you get?

Reactions: bismic1 and Jax

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always used Ford or Intl parts for something like that, so unfortunately I can't recommend anything cheaper. However, I would imagine any reputable company, like MBRP, BD Diesel, etc, would make a quality piece as well. Heck, I'd even go for a junkyard piece for the Y over a cheap, ill-fitting one.

I do have a question or two, though. You said you did an up-pipe and that the Y pipe isn't seating right and is mis-sized. It sounds like they wanted you to buy the whole thing then? Like, you got the whole thing? Two up pipes connected to the Y? If so, why not just disconnect the Y and re-use the old one? Or are the bellows cracked on the Y and that's what you replaced and we're just using different terminology? Out of curiosity, what brand did they have you get?
Bellows were all junk... and I think it's a no name from pro tuning lab....85 dollars lol

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Hmmm....ya know, I would at least try to get the roughest crud off the turbo with a scraper or flapper wheel, put some good anti-seize on the face, and try clamping it down. Yeah, the inner flange is a bit small, but if you can get it clamped into place relatively lined up I'd bet you'd get a good seal....as long as the other dimensions weren't messed up.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Have you got this to seal before on other 6.0s? This is a really tough part to get right with good parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm....ya know, I would at least try to get the roughest crud off the turbo with a scraper or flapper wheel, put some good anti-seize on the face, and try clamping it down. Yeah, the inner flange is a bit small, but if you can get it clamped into place relatively lined up I'd bet you'd get a good seal....as long as the other dimensions weren't messed up.
This one seems alot small....gonna take turbo back out and try on the bench between old oem one and this cheap one....worst comes to worst gotta buy a turbo housing I guess

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Ok since it's your first it might be you. This is very tough to do and look up at videos to see the tricks people do. I used the ratchet strap method.

The most important thing is the clamp will not close any gap and not make it seal, you have to get the thing closed before using the clamp. Then first thing is start the truck and put your hand back there, it will leak a lot if not done right.

Even Ford mechanics struggle with this.

Reactions: Zmann

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok since it's your first it might be you. This is very tough to do and look up at videos to see the tricks people do. I used the ratchet strap method.

The most important thing is the clamp will not close any gap and not make it seal, you have to get the thing closed before using the clamp. Then first thing is start the truck and put your hand back there, it will leak a lot if not done right.

Even Ford mechanics struggle with this.
Maybe it is me then...I got it what I thought was good by hand and clamped it

·
Super Moderator
5,950 Posts
You need to keep everything from the up pipe to manifold bolts to the turbo mounting bolts loose when aligning the up pipes. Tighten the up pipes first, specifically the turbo to up pipe vband, the. The EGR side up pipe, turbo mounting bolts, then manifold to up pipe bolts last.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe it is me then...I got it what I thought was good by hand and clamped it
I got it perfect...left everything loose and pinched the clamp shut while I wiggled the turbo and the pipe until there was no more wiggle...still a very slight leak....is there a chance I need a new exhaust housing its kinda nasty and pitted after wire wheeling it and what not

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I'm not sure if this is a good thing to do or not but when I was looking how to do this is some guy used spray copper gasket can on it to seal it.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Any pics by chance? Both of the alignment and the housing without anything attached so we can see how pitted it is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts