Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know its been done before but i figured i post mine i cut the scoop out with a thin blade and a chop saw--- carefully wear eye protection ---i wasnt going to pay hundred or more for a new up pipe with the fabricating tools i have i grinded any metal in up pipe we dont want anything blowing apart turbine wheel i cut a new peace out from exhaust i had laying around make sure it is just as thick as the up pipe metal so i welded it slowly first i tack welded each corner and welded different areas a little at a time and let it cool down scoop 1.JPG

scooop2.JPG

scoop3.JPG

scoop4.JPG

scoop5.JPG cause i didnt want to warp this up pipe im doing this cause the truck is torn down any way for a no high oil pressure no start issue so im installing a one peace stc

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks simple enough.

One question - if I am keeping my EGR cooler, do I need some sort of block off plate for the EGR? It's an '06 truck by the way. Thanks!

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Why go through all the trouble of removing to egr scoop? Is there gains to be had over just welding a plug in it and capping it?Looks good though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes there gains probally not noticeable. on early 03 and 04 6liters did not come with that scoop in 05 they had to throw more exhaust in the egr cooler to make it more effective for emmission reasons so they made that scoop it takes away half of the pipe i would not tear down this pipe unless you had to take apart your truck like i had to for the stc fitting no start issue. to install the stc fitting i removed my down pipe for more room and the up pipe was easy to get to

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
good job but I think that pipe tends to crack on the ribbed part
Yup.... helped someone replace his a few weeks ago. In all fairness though, my buddy had his vibrating up against his egr cooler ( someone forgot a vband after a block off) that probably didnt help it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Removing the scoop will help the truck spool faster since it is getting more exhaust flow. And I would have just cut the pipe below the bend and put in a new piece of pipe, eliminating the bellows section too. Good thing to do though.

·
The Unseen Mod
4,123 Posts
Sup PGreen LMAO LOLLOLLOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts