Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello in currently in the middle of replacing my up pipes with stock Dorman replacement pipes, the problem I am having is that I cannot get the drivers side up pipe back up in the truck I've been trying for hours with not luck, what is the easiest way or how do you reinstall the up pipes with the transmission in the truck. any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
How did you get the stock piece out?
I am not much help here because all the up pipes I have installed have been at the same time as a Turbo remove and replace (from the top)
Have you tried dropping it down from the top (up by turbo)

You may want to unbolt your transmission mount and put a floor jack under the transfer case (or transmission if 2wd) and try jacking up the back of the transmission some. This should gain you some clearance at the back of the engine

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my turbo and collector is on right now ive been trying to put it in from the bottom, but is to possible to put it in from the top I haven't tried that yet. and ya I have thought about the tranny but that has been my last diched effort rn but if worse comes to worse I will do that. Thank you for your input

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Put a jack under the cab mount bolt. See if you can gain a little clearance like that.
I'm surprised you were able to get the old one out without cutting it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I think Im gonna do that, where exactly do I need to jack it up at and what should I unbolt to do it. And I actually ended up cutting the old up pipe out, I tried to save it for spare or to sell but I couldn't get it out in any way. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Depending on how worn out your mounts are, you may not need to unbolt it. Just stick a jack right under the middle cab mount bolt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depending on how worn out your mounts are, you may not need to unbolt it. Just stick a jack right under the middle cab mount bolt.

Ok thanks that is what I am gonna do, I've been fighting this truck for 3 weeks now trying to do these up pipes and it just seems like it needs more parts the more I dig into it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well I went to jack the body up and it doesn't jack it up very much so I went to take the body mount bolt off and it seized on there, and I still couldn't get the pipe in so if I unbolt the body mount bolt would I be able to jack the truck up a lot more.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
You could.
Might be easier to porta power the firewall, or lower the back end on the whole engine/trans.

·
Registered
125 Posts
it just seems like it needs more parts the more I dig into it.
This sentence sums up my life with my truck pretty completely.

Im interested in what you figure out. I think im to the point of having to unbolt my collector from my up pipes to get my turbo off so im sub’d to your thread lol

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I had to replace cab mounts to do my t4 swap.
they are not pricey for urethane ones, but a chore to remove

·
Registered
600 Posts
I fought my up-pipes for a full day before I gave in and bought a portapower from Harbor Freight. I had the up-pipe installed in under 30 mins with the duckbill attachment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for the long answer back I have been really busy, so I got the old ones out by jacking up the cab like 3 inches and put the new ones in and of course my luck sucks and the drivers side up pipe is like a quarter inch to long so now I'm thinking about just trimming it down so the collector will bolt up to the turbo, so my dilemma now is that I would prefer to take the pipe out to cut it but I doubt I will be able to do that with it in one piece so ill prolly have to cut it with a grinder with it in the truck. these are the Dorman stock replacement pipes I bought from xdp and they said they would take them back and exchange them but I'm not really wanting to do this all over again, has anyone else on here had this problem with the pipes. Is there anywhere that would rent out a porta power to use?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts