Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My present tranny fluid is not dark . Wanting to change out to mobil 1 and doing it the right way, how can i tell when the old fluid enters the exit hose and the change is complete ? Can i dye the old fluid some way ? The colors might show and they may not , now is the time to think it over . Lay it on me .. The Gov Holmes

·
Registered
2002 F450 SD 7.3L
38 Posts
Interested in this too. I have a 6.0 trans cooler to install soon on a free weekend and a new trans filter/seal w/ 12qts of Mercon V. Although I am only planning to drain/fill my system because like yours, the fluid is not dark and is quite red/fresh smelling. Still would be interested to see how guys are doing a full flush on them though and may consider it myself.

Why Mobil1? just curious. I researched the crap out of this and basically got scared into using only original Morotrcraft Mercon V from all the stories about using other fluids. And of course the old debate about Mercon compatibility with Mercon V. That was annoying. Anyways, I ended up with Motorcraft Mercon V as my choice for fluid.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have an expert on these websites that was a transmission engineer at ford. He likes mobil 1 .. Klausen or close to it is his name . If your there lets here it ? The Gov Holmes

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably do it the easy way and use i gallon milk jugs as measuring devices and just drain and pump out a total of 18 quarts of oil, and at the time of expedited arrival of the new oil look for the transition in the oil. The old to the new, the mobil 1 is the oil of choice for my late 99 .. The Gov Holmes

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,268 Posts
Klausen?!?

I do like Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. It is MERCON V rated. The MERCON spec is obsolete and NOBODY produces a licensed MERCON fluid. MERCON V is backwards compatible with transmissions that used MERCON originally.

When I was at Ford we supplied E4OD transmissions to an off road race team. They were running a 427 cubic inch small block that was in the 650 HP range. We filled the trans with Mobil 1.

The trans coolers were mounted in the bed of the truck, so they didn't get any air without the fans running. In one race the fans quit. There were no fans available quick enough that they could be installed. The temp gauge was pegged at 320°F. We were leading at the time this happened. The decision was made to just keep running until it died.

We won the race. The trans never missed a beat. After each race we got the trans back for teardown and analysis. This trans showed normal wear with just one unusual find. All of the solder from the solenoids had melted and dripped into the pan. Solder melts at about 450°F. So this trans ran above 450°F and still functioned and showed no damage. Conventional ATF would have broken down long before this temp and that would cause a trans failure.

Here is how I change the fluid. If you follow these directions when you are done about 95% of the fluid will be changed. You may not see a color change, but if you follow the directions it works. Changing ATF Fluid in a E4OD and 4R100 transmission - Ford-Trucks.com

Reactions: OldDrummer55

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well how did I do ? Coach K and his war stories are just great .I meant using 18 quarts , might use a little more if needed , One thing he forgot , the beer, six pack should do . Got a question , If necessary how do you clear a 6.0 tranny cooler? The Gov Holmes>

·
Registered
2002 F450 SD 7.3L
38 Posts
By "clear" do you mean clear it out, like clean the inside? Or clear the the external fins of debris? Or clear like fitment clearance into the 03 and back? Because I just installed one on my 02 and it bolts right up into factory location. It's just 3 or 4 times bigger. I went with a Dorman unit for only $180. Need a couple feet of 1/2" hose and some 3/8-1/2 adapters since the OEM lines are smaller than the cooler. I just did a drain and fill but was able to use 9.5qts of new fluid with the pan drop and the extra room in the 6.0 cooler. Pretty good considering the fluid wasn't all that bad. The only way I cheated was that I have an A/C machine at my shop and just evacuated the system and pulled the condenser to have better access. It's still do-able with the condenser in and just moved around a bit.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I meant to clean the inside of the cooler . All is going fine , low temps and outside is clean. Years ago in eastern oregon saw a cooler with the fins all dented and looked bad . A bad hail storm . The fins were bent , to prevent that I installed small mesh rabbit wire behind the truck grill , all looks good , barley noticed , must examine to see , painted it black first ..Sorry to rant . Thanks again coach K.. The Gov Holmes

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While your in the office ,is it a bad policy to install a large oil filter prior to the transmission cooler, I have a 20 something micron spinoff filter in front of my cooler and the temps are not effected ? It has a large copassidy and functions as far as I can tell ? Thanks again .. The Gov Holmes

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,268 Posts
copassidy? I don't know that word. Do you mean capacity?

If it doesn't restrict the flow too much it is fine. If it does restrict the flow too much it will cause your transmission to fail. The only way I know to find out which one will happen is to try it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The filter is of good size an that allows an ample amount of filter material so as not restrict the oil flow to the cooler . Noticed an add selling this type of system and this filter is much larger than those used in there app. Didn't know if it could help at all, staying bisse , something like that , could this help a tranny at all ? The Gov Holmes

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,268 Posts
Of course, it restricts the fluid. If it didn't restrict the fluid it wouldn't filter anything at all. The question is how much does it restrict the fluid? Too much, or just a little? I don't know.

Filtering is great as long as there isn't too much restriction. I have no data at all to say if this has too much restriction or not.

·
Registered
2002 F450 SD 7.3L
38 Posts
Isn't regular replacement of the pan filter sufficient? It's cheap enough. I don't think anything smaller than what a factory filter can catch is going to damage the trans. I'm all about bigger coolers when I get vehicles with auto transmissions and regular fluid changes. Never added any filtration systems.

About your question of clearing the trans cooler. It depends on what way you mean. If you had a transmission fail due to burnt up fluid for example, or you suspect a contaminated system, then it is standard practice to blow it out with cleaner and compressed air. You can clean it out that way. In fact when we replace failed transmissions, we just blow from the cooler lines all the way through the radiator cooler and or external cooler, and back out the other line till it is clean of the old burnt fluid. Not sure what other situations you'd need to clear it for. But if you suspect some kind of physical blockage, it's safer to replace it. But you can flush out a cooler and dry though it with compressed air or let air dry for a day or two.

Here is an example of a product meant for it: https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-190...06093&sprefix=trans+cooler+fl,aps,1326&sr=8-3
But I'd follow something like this with a lot of compressed air.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The present pan filter works . It would be nice if all fluid entering the cooler was very clean . Should your tranny let go any or all material and it gets pumped into your cooler what are you going to do ? At least you did not ruin the filter setting on the shelf . The thought was to protect the cooler from getting plugged and permanently damaged . There is or was an outfit selling filters for this purpose on the web and there filter was a micron ore two over 20. I am using a 30 micron or more and larger than there filter , it was a baldwin , a good filter . My filter is out of local parts house , just to protect the system. Hope I got the explanation correct? The Gov Holmes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts