Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Interesting. Goose, given the lack of water detected in the UOA, it has to be the RevX, not antifreeze in the oil. Very interested to see what the virgin sample of RevX shows. I don't normally go on .org, so it would be great if you could keep us posted.

The one other thing that jumps out at me is iron went up in your last sample. I guess that could be due to one of two things: RevX has iron in it, or your motor didn't care for it.

Best,
Jim

·
Ballin' on a Budget
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it is the Rev-x causing this. This thread is for the people who dont know....

Interesting. Goose, given the lack of water detected in the UOA, it has to be the RevX, not antifreeze in the oil. Very interested to see what the virgin sample of RevX shows. I don't normally go on .org, so it would be great if you could keep us posted.

The one other thing that jumps out at me is iron went up in your last sample. I guess that could be due to one of two things: RevX has iron in it, or your motor didn't care for it.

Best,
Jim
True, but I did double my OCI.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
True, but I did double my OCI.
I saw that but I also noticed that the last one was higher at 14 than your first one at 9 with a comparable OCI. However, that could also be caused by changing oil brands. I'm not sure of your complete history.

Have you added RevX since your last oil change? Be interesting to see your UOA next time if you didn't.
Best,
Jim

·
Ballin' on a Budget
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw that but I also noticed that the last one was higher at 14 than your first one at 9 with a comparable OCI. However, that could also be caused by changing oil brands. I'm not sure of your complete history.

Have you added RevX since your last oil change? Be interesting to see your UOA next time if you didn't.
Best,
Jim
True. That was with Motorcraft 15w40.

I have not added any more rev x. Going to get a UOA on the oil change after next.

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
Very interesting, would like to see the VOA on the Rev-X. Wear numbers look very good. All very low and most in the single digits. Most labs consider iron normal under 100 ppm, anything under 25 at 5,000 miles is very good. Like Jim said, the very slight increase in iron could be from:

1. the change in oil brand
2. reported wear numbers can be + or - 3 points in either direction, so don't take these numbers as absolute values.
3. Iron is cumulative, so the higher # can easily be from the higher miles on the oil.

Whatever the reason, there is nothing to worry about with 14 ppm iron at 5K miles. Wear numbers look very good. Now just make sure the Rev-X is causing the false positive on the coolant leak. I hope you post the VOA results on the Rev-X, most diesel oils don't use Sodium in there additive package.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Should be renamed to FauX miracle solution. Just another snake oil, it's actually probably just Rotella with some banana oil in that ultra expensive plastic jar.

I guess I can't comment on how it makes miracles happen for 6.0Ls, but it seems to be doing something to the oil to help it shadow a problem by making them start up easier.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Not even close thedirt. We know whats in it. It aint rotella. And it aint snake oil:D

·
Ballin' on a Budget
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Should be renamed to FauX miracle solution. Just another snake oil, it's actually probably just Rotella with some banana oil in that ultra expensive plastic jar.

I guess I can't comment on how it makes miracles happen for 6.0Ls, but it seems to be doing something to the oil to help it shadow a problem by making them start up easier.
LOLLOL

·
Registered
186 Posts
I sampled it along with used engine oil when it first came out, it did nothing for me except worry some people at Blackstone Oil Labs.

I reasoned out the MSDS sheet to the high bananas in my oil.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Goose, thanks for posting the VOA here! There's the iron we chatted about last time...

OK, does a s***load of potassium and boron act like a detergent?

Best,
Jim

·
Ballin' on a Budget
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Goose, thanks for posting the VOA here! There's the iron we chatted about last time...

Best,
Jim
A Banana a day keeps the stiction away.

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
Damn that's alot of bananas and Boron.......thanks for posting this up. I need to save this one for futur reference....

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
I'm curious what the owners of Rev-X would say in their defense? Considering this additive is basically worthless...

·
FNG
6,018 Posts

Best,
Jim
A Banana a day keeps the stiction away.
Yes that combo is one hell of a detergent

1 - 20 of 38 Posts