Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of changing my up pipe donuts and got to the part, where I need to remove the EBVP housing. The housing bolts are so rusted, that the 8mm wrench just rounded the heads off. I'm not sure I can get the one remaining collector nut/bolt off, without getting the EBPV housing off and I'm stuck.

Also, I tried getting the passenger side-rear pedestal bolt out and it broke my 1/4" drive universal. Now what? I sprayed everything down with penetrating oil, and these bolts are still a PITA!

Trying to get the manifold to up pipe flange bolts was also hopeless... I ended up cutting all four of them.

·
Registered
797 Posts
The key for me on the EBPV was soaking them several days in advance with PB Blaster and then using a brand new socket.

But now that you've rounded it off. I'd grind the bolt head completely off with a Dremel, which will let you remove the housing. You'll then have a slight stub left to get Vise-grips on. Relieving the bolt tension often lets the bolt turn on out, plus if you have to, put heat on it.

The pedestal bolts were quite tight, I don't remember how I got them off.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well if they're rounded, you could try to grind them off or grind a head on them and try and get a socket to fit the new head. You might also want to try and getting a torch and heating the bolts up a bit to break the rust loose....Just be careful with chemicals and a torch, some can make some lethal vapors.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My only problem, is that it's the bottom-rear bolt that I can't get out... I got the front one, with a bolt-out. These bolt heads are extremely rusted... Just like the manifold bolts were. I hope I can get this thing done... I have to drive it to work, on Monday..

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I managed to get the turbo off, without moving the EBPV housing. The up pipes just fell out of the collector, so that made the removal easy. I got the collector in the vise, to get the flanges and old gaskets out and broke one of the flange bolts off. I'm pretty much screwed now, unless I can get the broken piece out. I tried heating the collector and using an easy out, but the heat destroyed the easy out... Tat was the only one I had...

On another note... The passenger side up pipe fell out from under the truck pretty easy. The driver's side will not come out. There's not enough clearance between the firewall and the transmission. Trying to get it out the bottom is also fruitless, as it hits the exhaust manifold.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
The driver's side is the hard one. You have to rotate the pipe so the dent in the pipe gives you the clearance to remove it and its still a b#tch. Getting the replacement pipe in is just as much fun....:D

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
The driver's side is the hard one. You have to rotate the pipe so the dent in the pipe gives you the clearance to remove it out from below and its still a b#tch. Getting the replacement pipe in is just as much fun....

Done it three times so far on mine.....LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts