Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy y’all, I’m having a issue with my 2001 F350 straight wheel (4X4, 6speed trans) that I can’t identify myself. My truck has a 4” procomp lift with 20” wheels wrapped in 35” tires with 313,XXX miles as a reference for my issue.

The mystery noise only happens when the truck currently driving, not sitting at idle/neutral. The noise is as I describe a clunking sound every time I shift into gear. The noise is even more noticeable when I press the gas pedal quick and let off. press gas, clunk, left off gas, clunk. I can feel the front end of the truck move forward with the initial clunk and then move back with the second clunk. I just can’t seem to figure it out. I have my front driveshaft off as I thought that was the noise, but it wasn’t.

I know my truck needs a new front driver side hub and steering stabilizer, but I can’t add those to being the issues. My front driver side wheel shake hard from 30-45 and I know it’s just front driver said because my passenger side mirror doesn’t shake.. also my parking brake currently doesn’t work if that does anything, so I leave it in gear while parked.

anyways, if y’all got any idea or know the issue please please please help me as shops around my area are closed down.
im new to this forum, please let me know if this is the wrong thread

thank you.

·
Administrator
8,415 Posts
welcome to PSN...

i wonder if you have a bad spring bushing, or possibly a bad spring shackle bushing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
welcome to PSN...

i wonder if you have a bad spring bushing, or possibly a bad spring shackle bushing.
If you don’t mind me asking, why would it be those things you listed and what are those components? I’m not mechanically swavyyy as most.

·
Administrator
8,415 Posts
on acceleration the springs unload a bit, and on deceleration they load back up. if you have a bad bushing in the spring or shackle, the associated part could shift causing a clunk noise.
on my old 99 mack dump truck i could always tell when it needed grease because it would clunk and the steering wheel would tug a little to the right when hard braking.
that meant the right rear spring shackle was dry and binding. then when hard brake applied it would break loose and clunk/shift the steering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on acceleration the springs unload a bit, and on deceleration they load back up. if you have a bad bushing in the spring or shackle, the associated part could shift causing a clunk noise.
on my old 99 mack dump truck i could always tell when it needed grease because it would clunk and the steering wheel would tug a little to the right when hard braking.
that meant the right rear spring shackle was dry and binding. then when hard brake applied it would break loose and clunk/shift the steering.
Ok this seems to make sense for sure, could possibly be my issue I believe. I will do some reason on how to fix this or grease it up. Is it a difficult job?

·
Administrator
8,415 Posts
grease is a no go on these trucks, they do not have grease-able bushings. that is a LARGE truck thing.
replacing worn bushings required removing the springs, then you press the old bushing out, and press the new one in.
not really a job for a first time do it yourselfer.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I would look at the engine mounts and down pipe.
If it's doing it when you push the peddle and let off, I doubt it's suspension related.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts