Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
IH Diesel Power
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well would a Stock turbo hold up with a unhooked wastegate? Im on my second Turbo now and everytime im really on it the wastegate will hold boost for a few seconds and then begin to bleed an excessive amount off and i begin to loose power. If anyone has any ifo it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
132 Posts
They say stock turbos are safe up to 25 lbs of boost and after that you're in danger of doing damage if you go higher often. So, if you can keep it under 25lbs (read, "back off the throttle") then you'd be good to tie it shut. If you want a better solution get a Turbo-Master wastegate controller. It'll keep it closed all the way up to the pounds that you adjust it to open at. They're simple but efficient at what they'd do. I've just been looking for a good "how-to" and building one from scratch.

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
What kind of boost are you seeing on your gauge?? Not sure if its related but if you lost 2 turbos, something ain't right. You can unhook the clip on the back rod and tighten up the rod a bit but you can only get so much out of a stock turbo before you start stressing it out.

·
IH Diesel Power
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before the first turbo blew up i was seeing right around 30 psi when pushing it hard, On this turbo i have now i was pushing right around 30 psi for somtime and then all of a sudden one day it wouldnt push over about 22, it seem like itll get to 22 and just stop and you can hear the air being released, idk what the hell is goin on with it but im tired of it

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
Do you have an OBA on it?? As soon as you get to around 22-24 PSI's the PCM see's the high boost and defuels the truck, hence no more boost.

·
IH Diesel Power
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whats a OBA? All i have on it is the boost relif valve to the map sensor so it doesnt defuel the motor at high boost levels

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
Before the first turbo blew up i was seeing right around 30 psi when pushing it hard, On this turbo i have now i was pushing right around 30 psi for somtime and then all of a sudden one day it wouldnt push over about 22, it seem like itll get to 22 and just stop and you can hear the air being released, idk what the hell is goin on with it but im tired of it
The part in bold is your problem.

You're pushing the stock turbo too hard. Go above 25 psi too often, and all bets are off for turbo longevity.

You need to upgrade.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I second that!!!! You are running the piss out of that stock turbo. 27 psi is the max I have seen listed before you are running into serious decrease in life span and are making no extra power anyways. Remember boost does always equal power. You are way outside the map at those levels and back pressure is way up. IMO reg use, 25psi is where I would set it at. As you seem to be running it hard why not go to a 38R or get a turbo master and set it at 25-27psi. The 38R will take a hell of a lot more abuse than a stocker. Running over 27 psi is only good if you are trying to get a new turbo upgrade and need a good excuse, like a blown stock one, as that's what you will have in short order.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The part in bold is your problem.

You're pushing the stock turbo too hard. Go above 25 psi too often, and all bets are off for turbo longevity.

You need to upgrade.
X2 on that.

I have seen 29psi on my stocker but I could tell she didn't like it. I try to keep it around 22-25. I bet if you did the same you would still be on your original turbo. Unhooking the wastegate sounds like a bad idea if you constantly are shooting for 30 psi. Keep it under 25 and I bet it will last as long as you own the truck.

Or just upgrade to a 38r

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I have never understood the fascination some have with seeing how high they can push the boost on these stock turbos if they know anything over 25-27 is a waste, counter productive, and destructive to the unit. :doh:

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
I have never understood the fascination some have with seeing how high they can push the boost on these stock turbos if they know anything over 25-27 is a waste, counter productive, and destructive to the unit. :doh:
:whs: I have a friend who will hit 35 in his truck on a stock turbo. He sees guys in mags running 60 psi so he tries and fails. One of these days he will learn to listen to me.

As for the OP, 30 psi on a stocker:eek:. Im lucky to ever see over 20. I guess thats the difference in our tuning huh. Either that or you need to start letting off earlier. I'd hate to hear the surge once you let off the throttle at 30+psi.:eek:

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
i unplugged my wastegate, but that is because it was going wide open at like 12psi. i have noticed that anything i do above 25psi or so does not make me any faster, just more smoke. not sure what boost i have pushed this poor stocker to, but it can peg at 30 pretty quick.. and it doesnt like it!

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
my brother unhooked his wastegate, he says he likes to watch the needle move back and forth. he's goes over 32 psi on his stocker everyday
I hit 32 also,but more boost doesn't equall more HP.Plus i don't care if my turbo blows,then i'le upgrade to a 38R. No offense hoss.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts