Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When detailing under the hood what should not get wet? What's the best way to start?
I do know open element air filters. What else?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Stay away from coil packs, plug wires, and as many electrical components as you can. Other then that you are good to go.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
I avoid High pressure and in close spraying

.. I don't want to inject water into the connectors that were just made to keep rain put

·
Registered
64 Posts
honestly, i cover major electrical connections with a plastic bag, then wet the engine down with water, spray simple green let it sit for a little, scrub any areas that a gummed up etc. and then hose it off. then take my back pack blower and blow it off the best i can and then a air pistol hooked to my air compressor to blow out any other water i missed :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
degreaser, a little scrubbing, and a pressure washer. Hit the plastics and rubber with some detail spray after it dried.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I use purple power on a WARM engine, NOT HOT. Stay away from the Alternator. let it sit about 5 min, respray if it starts to dry STAY AWAY from exterior paint(rinse off if it gets on it). Then rinse. I typically do this twice a year

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
Another trick is to hit the whole engine compartment with Armor All while still wet after a cleaning unless you drive on dirt roads. LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
The main thing to remember is to only clean when the engine is completely cold. If it is hot/warm condensation can form on the inside of electrical components. I use Mean Green and spray liberally, let sit for about five minutes and spray again then rinse off with low pressure water hose. 17 years and 250,000 miles and still looks new.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I used some armor all "Tire foam" cleaner and protectant on some tires that had all sorts of mysterious stains. Cleaned them good and left a nice armor all finish without being 'wet'. Wonder if it would work under the hood? I like the fresh black on hoses etc, but don't like the shiny dripping wet look that some leave.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
i keep my engine compartment so clean i drive with the hood off so everyone will appreciate my hard work

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
ok thats not true but i do wipe it down and used compressed air to get dust out of it
when I used to be under warranty the mechanics always commented on how clean I kept it
but honestly i would wipe it down maybe once a month or at oil changes

wd 40 on the hoses and other parts never an issue I just changed the hoses at 100k for PM and they still looked newish

that spray foam would probably be fine also

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I was using simple green it works great. The only problem I've had with using it I think it made the chrome peel on my grille one day it was fine the next day after engine was it looks like someone at chipotle tried to rap a burrito with it

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I was using simple green it works great. The only problem I've had with using it I think it made the chrome peel on my grille one day it was fine the next day after engine was it looks like someone at chipotle tried to rap a burrito with it
That had nothing to do with the simple green. Thats is just a common problem

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Over night the day after I washed? I would have notice it before I'm very particular

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
I agree with Brad
and while I believe the chrome failed
I can't see simple green permeating chrome nor can I see it getting between the plastic and doing anything to wrinkle the finish
and chrome or damaging chrome

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Could have been the degreaser at the carwash or even the hp hose I was using all I know is it wasn't like that before the wash. It could have been my fat belly hanging over the too of the grille wiping everything off

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
LOL

they say chrome on plastic failure is mostly caused by failure to get the plastic free of contaminates

i guess if you wound up with a small pit through the chrome anything could start lifting it then ?

mine is still perfect nock on wood

1 - 20 of 31 Posts