Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 96 7.3 F250 and I've been going through all the to-do's and regular maintenance jobs. Rebuilt the front end, changed oil, flushed transmission, things like that. I'm going to clean the EBPS tube and sensor tomorrow. I want to know what other things I should add to my list to change, clean, inspect, bypass, things like that. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A few more things to look at...... Check the turbo pedestal for oil leaks at the pedestal o-rings and also at the EBPV actuator and repair those by replacing the o-rings or deleting the EBPV. Check the up pipes for exhaust leaks at the Y collector and either replace the donuts or put in bellowed up pipes. Check the hard fuel lines that feed the rear of the heads from the fuel pump and replace the inserts if they are leaking at the fittings. Check the dipstick tube adapter on the side of the oilpan and repair it if it's leaking. Check the rubber intake boot from the air box to the turbo housing and replace it if it's cracked. Check the large plugs on the ends of the heads that plug the High pressure oil rail and repair any oil leaks there.

All of those are common problems on the OBS 7.3s.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response. That's exactly the kind of things I'd like to know about. I will look at all of them. The truck is using some oil. I just replaced the injector orings and it passes the fill cap blow off test so I need to find out where it's going. No drops under the truck when it sits. I've read it's most likely leaking in the turbo, the previous owner put a wicked wheel in so I would hope he rebuilt the turbo but I do not know. Any ideas on that?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also my truck does not have an EBPS. Does that mean it has been removed or did the 96 not come with one? I do mean the sensor that's supposed to be in front of the HPOP, not the EBPV.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure is, the thread I read about cleaning it must of been a newer motor. Now that you've told me I went out to look and it was staring right at me. Thank you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A few more things to look at...... Check the turbo pedestal for oil leaks at the pedestal o-rings and also at the EBPV actuator and repair those by replacing the o-rings or deleting the EBPV. Check the up pipes for exhaust leaks at the Y collector and either replace the donuts or put in bellowed up pipes. Check the hard fuel lines that feed the rear of the heads from the fuel pump and replace the inserts if they are leaking at the fittings. Check the dipstick tube adapter on the side of the oilpan and repair it if it's leaking. Check the rubber intake boot from the air box to the turbo housing and replace it if it's cracked. Check the large plugs on the ends of the heads that plug the High pressure oil rail and repair any oil leaks there.

All of those are common problems on the OBS 7.3s.
Is there any way to repair the dipstick tube adapter without removing the oil pan?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

·
Registered
5,475 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I used the kit and had pretty good luck with it, but I deviated from the instructins and coated the whole kit 'n kaboodle with the gray ford silicone sealer before it started leaking again. I really like the Strictly Diesel fix, but 300 bucks for it is just a little much for my budget.....

·
Registered
660 Posts
Fixing it with the factory O rings (Diesel O Rings kit) really isn't that bad of a job, maybe 45 minutes, as long as the truck is cold. Just get a "bore brush" that you would use for cleaning the barrel of a firearm. I don't remember for sure, but I think it's like .45 cal. Just go slow and be patient and you'll be fine. I emphasize SLOW as if you mess up and drop the adapter into the pan, you're either A pulling the motor, or B purchasing the $300 kit from strickly diesel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fixing it with the factory O rings (Diesel O Rings kit) really isn't that bad of a job, maybe 45 minutes, as long as the truck is cold. Just get a "bore brush" that you would use for cleaning the barrel of a firearm. I don't remember for sure, but I think it's like .45 cal. Just go slow and be patient and you'll be fine. I emphasize SLOW as if you mess up and drop the adapter into the pan, you're either A pulling the motor, or B purchasing the $300 kit from strickly diesel.
If you accidentally dropped the piece into the oil pan, you could probably get it out with a magnet on a stick right?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have heard of people being able to fish them out with a magnet or pick up tool, but you may or may not be able to get it, depending upon exactly it lands in the bottom of the pan. Best way is to get that .45 cal bore brush, or a similar sized gallery brush, and wedge it in the hole for the dipstick tube before you take the nut off. Also tie a fairly long piece of string to the brush so you can retrieve it if it should slip into the pan. Then, remove the old nut and o_ring over the end of the brush and thread the new ones on.

Keeping a spare CPS in the glove box is also a great idea, but I'd also keep a 10 mm socket, small ratchet, and a short extension in there with it. Sucks to be stranded with the part, but not have the tools to put it on.:grin:

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Clean the FPR Screen

Rather then taking the regulator off, I pull out the fuel filter and using a small mirror, Q-tips and flash lite to clean the screen in situ. Dip the Q-tips in Diesel and clean the screen. 5 minutes done. Use light and mirror so you can see the screen once clean will be shiny silver.

j

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm glad you brought up the FPR screen. I found a video of a man who hooked a shop vac to a tube and sucked the fuel screen hole in the reverse direction. Made sense to me so I tried it, it sure enough pulled fuel through but there wasn't any visible crud in the line (I used clear tubing so I could see), does that mean my screen was clear or is it likely that I didn't get any of it out?

·
Project Shamu
2,417 Posts
Its possible it was clean, but get a small mirror and check it out for yourself.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
mine was filthy
MPG jumped way up after I cleaned that SOB

The vacuum trick might work well may want to hit it with some cleaner first?
I had my FPR apart so I cleaned mine on my desk YUK
every gallon of fuel since 1997 has deposited crap on that little bugger

1 - 20 of 20 Posts