Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ok i know weve been down this road, but i searched a little bit and just got confused.

ok im looking to get rid of that stupid chunk of metal thats spewing oil in my turbo.

1. what is the purpose of a crankcase vent in the first place?
2. I bought a little breather filter thinking i could do that for the mod, can i? yes no?
3. im not intercooled
4. i dont want to spend more then twenty bucks on this
5. i dont want to leak very much oil onto the ground if any beyond with the truck naturally drops.

links to an OBS how to? i couldnt find one. i was just gonna put that little filter on the tube that comes out where it breathes and call it good.

·
OverFuelingForYourPlesure
1,609 Posts
piston rings do not make a perfict seal so there is always some combustion that getts into the crankcase. the vent alows that pressure to escape so it dosnt build up and blow out the seals.
on my pulling truck I just ran a hose to the ground and have never noticed any drips from it but it dosent get a lot of miles put on it.
there are some people that rout it into the exhaust but you have to be carefull how you do that or it wont work.

what kind of breather did you get?

·
<---F350 DRIFTER
516 Posts
I just took my breather off, then tuned it around, plugged a hose barb into the black rubber elbow and connected it to some vinyl tubing frome Home Depot. I Then just routed the tubing behind my cab so I wouldn't get the nasty smell inside.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes thats the one

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
nexttime just right click it then click properties, then copy the url and paste it into the image link box in the quick reply box.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok but you never answered my question if it will work or not

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
yeah it should work. but why are you filtering it? I just have mine dumped to the ground, but I will be rerouteing it so that it exits back after the cab.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was routi9ng it cuz i thoughts that what i had seen other people do on this site lol but if thats not that case ill just route it back...........

·
Dreams of owning cclb
695 Posts
anyone thats done this have pictures by chance?

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Tons of photos around on the site. Best way to find them is a google site search.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
ok ok i know weve been down this road, but i searched a little bit and just got confused.

ok im looking to get rid of that stupid chunk of metal thats spewing oil in my turbo.

1. what is the purpose of a crankcase vent in the first place?
2. I bought a little breather filter thinking i could do that for the mod, can i? yes no?
3. im not intercooled
4. i dont want to spend more then twenty bucks on this
5. i dont want to leak very much oil onto the ground if any beyond with the truck naturally drops.

links to an OBS how to? i couldnt find one. i was just gonna put that little filter on the tube that comes out where it breathes and call it good.
the crankcase gets pressurized from all the blowby in the cylinders. but you do not want pressure in the crank case thus the point of the vent. it releases pressure and therefore takes a little bit of oil with it. you could re route the hose somewhere or just write by the valve cover there. they wont drip that much oil but you will get some. the reason for puttin it in the the intake is just for enviromental purposes. ive worked on a truck that had it routed into the exhaust but i wouldnt really recomend that. unless you found a good way to do it. id just hang it down kinda low or under the cab so you dont get that smell from it... :shrug:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts