Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
GIG 'EM
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am swapping a 96 Dana 60 under my 97 F-250 soon and I would like to achieve a smoother ride while getting minimal lift.
I was wondering if anyone has done U Code (excursion diesel springs) with a 2.25 PMF rsk? Pictures and opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I have them in my CCLB w B code rear, but it is a 460 truck.

I will say it ride a TON better than my CCSB with V and B codes

·
GIG 'EM
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what ive experienced the diesel 4x4 excursion rode rather well with the U code leafs. Aside from bottoming out on the bump stops. But i'd anticipate them doing well on a truck with more clearance.
Now i know the excursion 4x4 sits about 1 3/4" lower than a 4x4 pickup.
How much lower would you say your 460 truck is from the CCSBD?
Is there any issues with shackle angles or anything of the like with a negatively arched spring?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
From what ive experienced the diesel 4x4 excursion rode rather well with the U code leafs. Aside from bottoming out on the bump stops. But i'd anticipate them doing well on a truck with more clearance.
Now i know the excursion 4x4 sits about 1 3/4" lower than a 4x4 pickup.
How much lower would you say your 460 truck is from the CCSBD?
Is there any issues with shackle angles or anything of the like with a negatively arched spring?
My CCLB sits about 1/2" lower than the CCSB. But the 460 is about 200lbs lighter than the PSD. With that said, i want to swap out U codes for the V codes in the CCSB

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Do you know how has the best risk to use? I am getting a 85 f-350 with a d60/4:10's. Is there anything else I should keep other then the front axle parts?

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
My CCLB sits about 1/2" lower than the CCSB. But the 460 is about 200lbs lighter than the PSD. With that said, i want to swap out U codes for the V codes in the CCSB
I would be interested to hear how that works out brad. How much do you think wheel base has to do with it?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I would be interested to hear how that works out brad. How much do you think wheel base has to do with it?
I'm not sure. Between the different springs, 16" of wheel base difference and the dually tires, I say they all play a part in the ride difference

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would also be interested in the results you guys have by going with U codes up front. While the RSK w/ V codes is an improvement over the stock springs and mounting, my RC still seems stiff. I think I could live with a little less lift up front and going back to 285's.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Anybody swapping in a D60, regarless if they go reverse shackle or not, should use the F350 pitman arm as its length matches the length of the steering arms on the knucles.

Got mine via Amazon and it was made by Raybestos.

·
GIG 'EM
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did some more research and U codes were more common on 99 & 2000 Super Duty pickups. The excursion diesels used a "D" code spring which was rated for 4700lb front gvwr. The U codes are 4800 front gvwr and the V codes are 5200 front gvwr.
With that said I think I am going to go with the U codes as they look to sit a little lower than Vs yet they look to be able to handle the duties of a pickup.

·
Let'er Buck!
1,685 Posts
Definitely in for results here. I want as little as lift possible but still have a nice ride when I do mine. Already have the V codes, but if its proven that with the U's it'll ride better and be lower then I'll source some of those instead.

BTW, mine's a cclb like Brad's 460. I personally think the extra length has a lot to do with how they ride.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
GIG 'EM
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just looking at U code pickups on the internet versus the V code sprung pickups you can see a substantial height difference.
I agree that wheelbase is very important in affecting the ride.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I did some more research and U codes were more common on 99 & 2000 Super Duty pickups. The excursion diesels used a "D" code spring which was rated for 4700lb front gvwr. The U codes are 4800 front gvwr and the V codes are 5200 front gvwr.
With that said I think I am going to go with the U codes as they look to sit a little lower than Vs yet they look to be able to handle the duties of a pickup.
Exactly. A SD weights More than the equivalent OBS by almost 1000lbs, so U codes will work fine.
I wish I knew about the U codes before I did the RSK on my CCSB.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Has anyone done one yet to compair the ride height apples to apples?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Im surprised after all the RSK's that have been done over the years this has never come up before :confused:. There have been plenty of people who have not wanted as much ride height, seems like a logical end point that would have come up sooner.

·
Let'er Buck!
1,685 Posts
Cary at CT performance has pushed for years that the V codes were the only and best option. However, most of the conventions are done on sclb or ccsb trucks which are 1.5 foot shorter wheelbase than a cclb. We've all taken his word what's best because of him being a pioneer in obs suspension upgrades. But there has to be other options out there for ride quality and ride height for us cclb guys.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts