Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Typical oil consumption?

7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  bluedge8 
#1 ·
I've searched but not found anything regarding typical oil consumption for the 7.3l. Can anybody tell me their experiences with a good running 7.3?
Mine has always used oil...even when new...about 1 qt every 3000 miles or so.

#3 ·
If I put mine on the full mark, it will leak down a quart in no time. If I leave it a quart low, it will be less than 2 quarts low at oil change time. Like Curtis says, you are fine.

P.S. Curtis, that avatar is disturbing. :poke:

#8 ·
:whs: about your avatar

#4 ·
Right on. Thanks for the input guys.

Now for the follow up question...in the last few months...my oil consumption has nearly doubled. About a quart every 2000 miles or so. This, coupled with a little blue smoke at idle and an idle "knock"...as well as slightly decreased power has me thinking its time for some injector o-rings. Would anyone dissuade me from throwing o-rings at this thing?

#5 ·
Right on. Thanks for the input guys.

Now for the follow up question...in the last few months...my oil consumption has nearly doubled. About a quart every 2000 miles or so. This, coupled with a little blue smoke at idle and an idle "knock"...as well as slightly decreased power has me thinking its time for some injector o-rings. Would anyone dissuade me from throwing o-rings at this thing?

#6 ·
funny thing...... I change my oil at every 5000 miles, run motocraft filters, and run name brand oil, and I dont notice any oil loss on my dipstick between oil changes, And I currently have 225,XXX on my truck,............IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH MINE THEN????????????lol
sorry dont have the answer for the o-ring question......

#9 ·
None of the 3 PSD's I have owned, have burned any oil..

The only time I ever add oil is at oil changes.

#10 ·
My old engine would typically use 2 quarts every 4-5k.

If the engine did not use oil it would seize.

When the pistons move downward, a thin film of oil is left on the cylinder walls. The thin film of oil is burned away on the firing stroke during combustion. If an engine burned a drop of oil during each firing stroke, oil consumption would be about one (1) quart for every mile traveled. Fortunately modern engines use much less oil than this example. However, even efficient engines will use some oil or they would quickly wear out. Additionally as the vehicle is operated, some oil is drawn into the combustion chambers past the intake and exhaust valve stem seals and burned.

#11 ·
i use about 1/2 a quart in 3000 miles on both of mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.