Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a completely stock engine 2006 F-350 CCLB with a readylift & on 35s & 130k miles. This past week my area reached lows of -60. I was out driving & working at the time like a good 21 year old....& of course something happened. No lie I pushed my truck that day with high reving cause I got stuck in snow drift. I got a check engine code for the exhaust back pressure reg. However I also have noticed white smoke prior to that, & to top it off im pushing some coolant through the tailpipe now. this is my first diesel, id appreciate help. im thinking im going to have to do a rebuild of sorts?

thanks. -Andy

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
If its liquid coolant its the EGR cooler i'm sure, but HG's are not completely out of the realm of possibility.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, appreciate it. I was looking at egr delete kits. is is better to delete it or upgrade the cooler? & if I take a lot of stuff of might as well get a stud & gasket job done along with oil cooler right? I plan on working this myself im handy with tools! how much do kits go for & what do y'all recommend?

·
scouts out...
246 Posts
There are a few good kits out there and you will find that it really comes down to pesonal prefferance. I think I had a list of three deletekts to choose from after Idid some research, only real advise I have is do alot of research everything you need to know is on this forum. Also DO NOT go cheap on parts, with these trucks it WILL bite you in the a$$.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Delete your EGR Cooler. While you've got things taken apart, I would also put a new oil cooler on it, just because. A leaking EGR Cooler is the main reason that head gaskets fail so don't run it until you delete the cooler. If your head gaskets are not blown, I personally wouldn't mess with them.

·
import basher
486 Posts
I agree wth everything said so far, except one thing. If you have the money to do head studs, DO IT! It's not a matter if if they will fail, but when. Do this and an egr delete, upgrade the oil cooler and you will have a more reliable diesel than the old 5.9 ### job. Some people believe in the " if it ain't broke don't fix it" thery. I don't. If you know somthing can and will go, why not remedy the problem right off the bat?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can swing it I think. I did some searching & found a master solution kit if you can call it that, with arp studs, OEM gaskets, EGR delete kit, oil cooler kit. & all the other smaller random O-rings/seals/Gaskets Id need for the top end job. its like $1500, is that reasonable?

·
import basher
486 Posts
That's a good price to me. But in in Canada. We get raped with everything. Here that would be like 10.00000.00

·
$HUNGRY6.0
37 Posts
Just went through the same thing with my 06 psd...if u can afford the stud job get it over with. Either that or it'll cost u a lot more down the road. I ignored studs and put a low level tune and POP bye bye to thousands of $$$. Do it right the first time

·
import basher
486 Posts
Haha yes I own many diesels. And have had many others. I'verarned from trial and error. And had about any proble that is known to man happen to me. So yes. That's a good price for the parts. The labor will be double that tho or close to it realistically unless you do it yourself. But get it done, tune away or keep stock doesn't matter, them enjoy it for a million miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
what is the purpose/benefit of EGR delete. I want to keep as stock as possible, but with having a possible issue with hpop, wondering if i should do this too. just replaced ipr screen/o rings because it sucked into hpop - issues were stalling and, now with ipr back in - massive oil leak (which i need to locate today)

·
Registered
104 Posts
what is the purpose/benefit of EGR delete. I want to keep as stock as possible, but with having a possible issue with hpop, wondering if i should do this too. just replaced ipr screen/o rings because it sucked into hpop - issues were stalling and, now with ipr back in - massive oil leak (which i need to locate today)
Numerous things can fail related to EGR. The exhaust heat puts stress on your coolant, many believe this causes coolant degradation/separation and leaves solid deposits throughout the cooling system. The drop out is said to advance oil cooler failure, which if left unchecked can lead to overheating and HG failure (as ashvilleengine already posted). Other common issues, the EGR cooler can leak internally which can allow exhaust into the coolant, and coolant back into the intake. The EGR valve itself can stick open, causing poor performance. On many vehicles it needs to be removed and cleaned as a maintenance item. (If you had a van, it sucks getting access to it). The intake insides can be sooted (or gooped if you have a leak). There is probably more the pros can tell you, but those are the basics. It does not make sense to me to feed exhaust gasses back into the intake even if the system was reliable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts