Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think one of the biggest benefits of the dyno run yesterday was that we got to see a comparison between the two IDI "upgrade" cams, The tried and true Typ4 "Torque" cam and the new J2 "powershaft" that NMB2 and I have in our trucks.

After I made my runs, and Russ made his runs, we overlaid the graphs and this is what we got:

Now, instantly when I saw the graph, I thought, holy crap, the Torque Cam handed the J2 cam its ass, and in a lot of ways its did. It has a serious ramp and a flat top, flatting out at around 1800 and tapering off at just over 2200. The J2 cam flattens out at around 2200 and starts dropping around 2500... This is all on the Torque side of things, which most consider to be the bread and butter of a diesel engine.

As far as hp is concerned, the Torque cam and J2 cam rise similarly with a slight (but probably un-noticable) advantage to the J2 cam, until the torque cam falls off at a little over 2800, and the J2 cam keeps pulling until redline (and maybe even past, my gov kicked in shutting stuff down).

Now a quick glance at the chart would make most not even want to consider the J2 cam. However, in discussion with Russ, and even more now that I have driven my truck on the freeway since and looked at what the RPM's are doing, We both believe that the J2 cam benefits those with 4:10's better and the Torque cam benefits those with 3.XX:1 gears better. My truck cruises 60mph at 2200 with 4:10's and stock tires and Im right smack dab at my torque peak on the freeway...

Basically, if you like to drive fast or even with traffic for that matter, and you have 4:10's or higher (or equivlent in tire sizes... essentially 2200 or above on the freeway) The J2 cam is probably gonna be a better choice, but if your spend most of your time in the Sub 2k range, the typ4 cam is going to be better suited to you.

Russ, do you have anything to add/change??

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
Just for curiositys sake, does dirty have the stock cam, how does it compare?

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now to add something as well... After thinking about it, next time we dyno, Id like to get a boost tube hooked up to the computer, that way we can see how either cam relates to boost pressure.

·
Banned
226 Posts
Just for curiositys sake, does dirty have the stock cam, how does it compare?
I have stock cam, I have to email Eric and get my full sweep sheet I only have a zoomed in one

·
Registered
208 Posts
We both need to have more fuel. I only had 2 psi under load Dan said. Otherwise I agree.
Need to add fuel then do same pulls

·
Registered
208 Posts
Eric just called me, He had a great time and is wanting me/us to figure out a way to keep the gov from defueling., he realizes there is more power on tap. Whatta guy:ford:

·
Banned
226 Posts
He was a good guy! When we first got there we were BS'ing for hours befor people started showing up...he also helped turn the fuel up on the gmc and time Racins rig! Real nice fella

·
Registered
41 Posts
what timming did racin and everyone for that matter end up goin with, just curious???

·
Banned
226 Posts
didnt have time to get the meter on them

·
Registered
41 Posts
gotcha... just loosen the bolts and turn? lol

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Wow those curves compared to stock are crazy I really want one of those cams. I wonder how both cams would act if the rev limiter was raised? Do you think Typ4 cam would also keep raising horsepower wise?

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I retarded mine, we tried advancing and all it did was drop power. As soon as I get a meter on it, Ill let you know what Timing I ended up at.

·
Registered
41 Posts
thanks man that be great! im assuming that from what you were saying about needing more fuel that your pump was maxed out as far as the fuel screw?

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Honestly, Im going to say this with all sincerity, I dont know. Ive taken Justin's word this whole time that it has been turned all the way up, but there is a little problem with that, and that Russ was only 20hp and 11 ft/lbs away from me, and he is running a Maxed NA pump... Something aint right there, either its not turned all the way up, or My pump isnt putting out what it should be. Maybe Ill pop the cover off and see if Justin is just pulling my chain.

·
Registered
41 Posts
lol, thats sabotage haha, keep us updated then!

Love what you guys are doing and the doors that you are opening in the idi world!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts