Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week has been awesome so far.:D
I landed at Wichita Falls Saturday afternoon and was working out of Frederick, Ok until today. Today we moved to Fairview, Ok and I'm staying in Enid.
I'm working with the East trailer guys of the ProHarvest support team. The ProHarvest team is a group of people that travel along with the custom harvesters during the wheat harvest in the plain states, supporting the CaseIH combines.
There is an East trailer, and a West trailer. The two trailers are needed to be able to cover as much of the harvesters (or cutters, as they're sometimes called) as possible.

It's interesting down here because every farmer owns a tractor, but there are very few combines owned compared to most of the other agricultural states. So there are companies that exist solely to harvest the wheat for farmers in the plain states.
Since there are so few combines sold, the local dealerships do not have the training, knowledge, or manuals to be able to repair the combines. That is where ProHarvest comes in. Each of the people on the team has a set of manuals that they can reference, and they will act as a technical advisor to a technician as they are working on a machine.
For some simple things, the ProHarvest people will do the work themselves to simplify things. But if it requires more than basic tools, a technician has to be involved, if for no other reason than to supply the tools.

The weather has been awesome. :bowfast: Hot and dry. I don't think the high for anywhere around me has been less than 95 since I've been down here. Sat it was about 105-106. I like warm/hot weather anyway, so I'm enjoying this.
It's been really dry, so the combines are making good time. They almost can't keep up with how fast the wheat is drying, so the operators are really pushing their machines. If they don't move north fast enough, the wheat will spoil in the field.

So, if anybody is out this way, let me know. Maybe we can meetup on an evening.

If anybody is ever in Vernon, Tx, I reccomend Sims Steakhouse.

I'm leaving on Saturday morning, headed back to the office. :(

·
Registered
94 Posts
ive always been interested in this sort of thing. how do i get a job doing anything related to the crop chase? not office crap. but anything actually out in the field. ?(no pun intended) baha

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It depends on what you're wanting to do. If you want to run a machine, you need to apply with one of the custom harvesting companies. Johnson Harvesting, and Collins harvesting are two of the ones I can think of right off hand.
Most of the companies will hire combine drivers, grain cart drivers, and truck drivers. Companies with several combines will also hire a mechanic. The mechanic will usually double as a driver of something, usually a truck. Having a CDL and welding certification is a plus. Frequently the combine and cart drivers will swap just to get a change of scenery.

If you are wanting to work on the ProHarvest team for the wheat run, I think they are requiring applicants to have worked for a custom harvester so you understand the harvest.

The wheat run is really amazing to see in person. An 8120 combine is worth about $200 or more per harvesting hour. Depending on the size of the operation and equipment, and how well the people work together, there may be one grain cart per combine, or one cart per two combines.
In general, the wheat harvest moves about 200-250 miles per week if the weather is decent.

I'll post some pics when I get them up.

·
<<< just like that......
810 Posts
Very cool man, sounds like a blast! Patiently awaiting pics!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
i was in vici all weekend and i had a family reunion saturday in enid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts