Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lookn for input on going twins on my new motor. its a .030 bore ,crower rod wop stud girdle, rev kit, 5 angle valve job headed 7.3,230cc single shots from elite. not sure on the big oil yet,waitn on tax check...... itp return and bowl delete with a fass 150. 4r100 with 3.73s on 35s. ive heard alot of different ways but i fugured id ask ya guys what ya thought. i wanna be in the 600rwhp zone. i know tuning will be the big factor but i wanna drive it,haul my 69 mustang,eat crummins and well just have a bad street truck and show most people old 7.3s dont die,they just get faster.:ford:

·
Crazy Redneck
867 Posts
S300/S400 or a pair of S400's or follow Charles setup.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Charles setup? im new to this site and dont know him. i seen house's truck made 500ish. its a sweet truck if ya see this house. not lookn to be in a pullin class so to speak. just maken a good ole 7.3 run with the best of them ya know.:tree:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
how about a 42R as a little one? and I dont know for a big one. The common concensus is that a 42R is the biggest that could be spooled with stock sticks, so you having 230's schouldn't have a problem

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
It would be best to start with a 42R. probably with a 47 and 2 wategates. The only issue is, not sure exactly how its going to tow. There is a lot of work to be put into a compound setup to make it function properly. Trying to make a setup thats capable of towing a good amount of weight and working for a racing application is not at all easy to do.

·
Registered
576 Posts
It would be best to start with a 42R. probably with a 47 and 2 wategates. The only issue is, not sure exactly how its going to tow. There is a lot of work to be put into a compound setup to make it function properly. Trying to make a setup thats capable of towing a good amount of weight and working for a racing application is not at all easy to do.
So true :whs:

First you have to figure out exactly what you are going to use the truck for and what you are looking for performance wise.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Just curious, why only 230cc with all that money in that motor? Go for 300+ :D

·
2Cruel
1,645 Posts
id do a 38r and a 47 just like charlie, good daily driving, makes over 600 and spools like a dream

Travis

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
For a daily driver, I believe that 42R is going to be WAY to much turbo as your secondary charger. Just my opinion. Thats a 75mm charger.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
there is also a smaller 42r, 70mm i beleive, as well as a couple of 40r's which can be had in 64 or 68mm. I beleive Charles is having a small problem with egts and is thinking he might be a little bottle necked on the turbine side of the 38r, but hed have to tell you more bout that. If thats the case, im not sure how much bigger the 40r's turbine wheel is than a 38r. Looks like it can be had in a 1.19 ar as well.

As mentioned about, the s300/s400 combo has always been a solid setup on the dodges, not sure what you could expect on a 7.3 but id imagine 550-600 horse should be doable.

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
GT4202 is 74.3mm and the GT4294 is 70.3mm, both use a 82mm turbine.

GT4088 is 64.7mm and the GT4094 is 67.8mm, both use a 77mm turbine.

My boss runs the 4094R on his LLY Duramax as a single (dynoed 535hp) and it has NO issues spooling up.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
GT4202 is 74.3mm and the GT4294 is 70.3mm, both use a 82mm turbine.

GT4088 is 64.7mm and the GT4094 is 67.8mm, both use a 77mm turbine.

My boss runs the 4094R on his LLY Duramax as a single (dynoed 535hp) and it has NO issues spooling up.
I agree that the 42R is probably to big for towing anything. i also think the
38R is a little small. Next best thing is 4094R.

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
i got a great set of towing twins for sale!! ill let them go for dirt cheap.

jacob- the way that single acts on a dmax is insanely different than it will run on a 7.3 ...fuel, displacement, housings...nothing ever acts the same way motor to motor.

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts

jacob- the way that single acts on a dmax is insanely different than it will run on a 7.3 ...fuel, displacement, housings...nothing ever acts the same way motor to motor.
I was just trying to infer that if a Duramax (which is a much smaller displacement motor) can spool it easy, a larger 7.3L motor would be able to spool it even better. So I see no reason it wouldn't spool quick and work great as a secondary on a Power Stroke.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Ok so say I used the 4094R as a secondary what could I use as a primary? I'm planning 200cc with swamps tuning eventually

·
I make smut cry
3,533 Posts
Charles setup? im new to this site and dont know him. i seen house's truck made 500ish. its a sweet truck if ya see this house. not lookn to be in a pullin class so to speak. just maken a good ole 7.3 run with the best of them ya know.:tree:
FWIW, I'd buy Mike's twins. Alot less headache, work, etc., and its ready to drop in and go. Takes all the quesswork and time consuming work outta buildin a compound setup. Would compliment your injectors very nice..... just my $.02

Cowboy Steve

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I could see charles' setup being a great towing set. He mentioned in another thread that he can hit 50 psi at 2000 rpms... if that's not good for towing, I don't know what is.
I'd like to test out some 42/60 twins, but simply don't have the money.... Yet. I'm quite sure that would be a great street/race setup...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts