Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't know chit about turbos so i have a question that may have been asked before but i searched and came up empty handed. I have a GTP38R now and need to upgrade to something bigger BC of the smoke from my injectors so i was wondering if it would be beneficial to buy a H2E and plum them for twins or if that would be a wast of time, thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
wont work you need something much larger than the h2e to feed the 38r.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would it even be worth keeping it on there to use for low end and if so what size charger are you talking that i would need for the 38R

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
were would i get one of those and how much fuel could i run with it, could it still be streetable?

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
were would i get one of those and how much fuel could i run with it, could it still be streetable?
I have thought about doing that same setup GTP38R Turbo with .84 A/R housing,(for fast spool up) and tying the waste gate closed, Then put on a external waste gate for better control. Than putting on a GT4788 or A GT5594 They both are Ball bearing Turbos. And than I would you the .95 or 1.08 A/R And use a external waste gate for that turbo to. Then get everything ceramic coated for better spool up. It would be very streetable and work good for towing.

Let us know what you do.. Head studs would be a must.:D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i guess i would have to figure out were to get either one of those turbos. what kind of boost do you think i would be looking at with that combination?
also is there anything that was built with either one of those turbos on it from factory?

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
I have thought about doing that same setup GTP38R Turbo with .84 A/R housing,(for fast spool up) and tying the waste gate closed, Then put on a external waste gate for better control. Than putting on a GT4788 or A GT5594 They both are Ball bearing Turbos. And than I would you the .95 or 1.08 A/R And use a external waste gate for that turbo to. Then get everything ceramic coated for better spool up. It would be very streetable and work good for towing.

Let us know what you do.. Head studs would be a must.:D
Other than your housings being too tight that would work pretty well. Chuck's truck is running a 1.15 housing on the 38R with a 44mm gate and he still recognizes that as the choke point in the system. I'm not sure what gate he is running on his 47.

FWIW I've got a compounded truck running a modded H2E and a 95mm atmosphere in the shop right now and it is quite fun to drive. I'll be adding a wastegate to the H2E in the very near future to attempt to control the boost... 70psi in the street tune is just too much. I need to get it so its only around 80psi or so in the race tune and I am sure that both myself and the truck's owner will be happy.

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
i guess i would have to figure out were to get either one of those turbos. what kind of boost do you think i would be looking at with that combination?
also is there anything that was built with either one of those turbos on it from factory?
I do not know if anything came with those turbos on it from the factory..:confused:

As for Boost if you had every waste gate closed...80 psi should be easy to hit.

But with a good set off head studs 65 psi should be safe.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
forgive my ignorance is the h2e the primary and the 95mm your secondary?

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
Other than your housings being too tight that would work pretty well. Chuck's truck is running a 1.15 housing on the 38R with a 44mm gate and he still recognizes that as the choke point in the system. I'm not sure what gate he is running on his 47.

FWIW I've got a compounded truck running a modded H2E and a 95mm atmosphere in the shop right now and it is quite fun to drive. I'll be adding a wastegate to the H2E in the very near future to attempt to control the boost... 70psi in the street tune is just too much. I need to get it so its only around 80psi or so in the race tune and I am sure that both myself and the truck's owner will be happy.
Yes they my be tight BUT the exhaust wheel on the GT47 and GT55 would be 82 to 88mm and the GTP38R is only 65 or 67mm. So you could yous a smaller Exhaust housing on the big turbo and still flow lots of air.

Maybe i am just messed up:confused:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
where would you look for those turbos?

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
forgive my ignorance is the h2e the primary and the 95mm your secondary?
I'm going to borrow a bit from Chucky's book of turbo terminology:

The 95mm turbo is the atmosphere or the low pressure or the 1st stage. The H2E is the manifold or the high pressure or the second stage. A 95mm charger has an inlet to the wheel that is almost 3 3/4" in diameter. So in other words... its big.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats what I'm looking for something i can grow with so I'm not buying turbos again so i can save for a full build

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
Yes they my be tight BUT the exhaust wheel on the GT47 and GT55 would be 82 to 88mm and the GTP38R is only 65 or 67mm. So you could yous a smaller Exhaust housing on the big turbo and still flow lots of air.

Maybe i am just messed up:confused:
That is still plenty tight.... by all means try it your way - but make sure you start out monitoring the backpressure right away and you will see what I am getting at.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HotRodTractor what is the 95 mm turbo that you are using?

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
HotRodTractor what is the 95 mm turbo that you are using?
Its a custom built charger with a billet wheel. Not really something you go pick up at the local truck yard - which it sounds like your after. If your looking for good junkyard turbos I would start getting and measuring the many variants of S400 turbos. Get one with an 80mm inducer and at least an 88mm exducer on the turbine for your atmosphere - try and get a pretty large A/R T6 turbine housing for it - you will still need to gate it. Grab an H2E of an L10 Cummins with a T4i mounting foot around a 17mm housing - you'll need to wastegate this one as well. That would get you running on the cheap - not the best setup in the world, but tunable to the point where you could make it work well enough.

Another option would be to find a smaller S400 like a 64mm variant and use that as the high pressure turbo - again it would still need to be gated.

Either setup would make a chit load of boost pretty quickly.

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
That is still plenty tight.... by all means try it your way - but make sure you start out monitoring the backpressure right away and you will see what I am getting at.
I may try it..But hey you did so you know what you are talking about.. I am just starting so.........

And i was wrong the Turbine wheel on the GT4708R is 92mm The compressor wheel is 80.7mm ind.......108mm exd
And the GT5533R Turbine wheel is 111mm.. the compressor is 94mm ind....133mm exd so it is BIG :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts