Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in class today looking at a DP mag and this idea hit me... could you make a twin setup while using your stock turbo like the kit ATS has for sale for the cummins. And if mso how big could your second turbo be... I was thinking maybe like a 71 or some where close to that. Has anyone ever done this or thought about it?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for telling me that before I beat my head up trying to figure it out. Is the turbo on a cummins that much better?

·
Registered
586 Posts
i might sound stupid but isnt the inlet larger not sure if that has anything to do with it:shrug:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont know maybe they do but I just thought it would be kind of cool to try it and it would be more affordable. Maybe I should start paying more attention in class instead of day dreaming about what to do to my truck.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Biggest problem is the stock turbo is too restrictive on the exhaust side. It will make enough boost to make power, but at the cost of high parasitic loss (backpressure/heat).

A turbo making equal boost with less backpressure will make more power.....at the sacrifice of slower response (spooling).

You can push the stock turbo out of its map (happy place) with stock AD's.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I thought I read where Bean messed with this for funny a while back. IIRC he did not wastegate it and went thru a number of stock turbos. Don't knwo if anyone set it up making sure to limit boost to keep the stocker alive and see what they got. Anyone else recall this?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just wondering and I think for what I have done to my truck a 71 is alittle big. I am looking at the BD turbo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts