Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought today, but has anyone fabbed up two intercoolers when running twins. Meaning one to cool the charge air out of the first charger and into the second charge. And the second to cool the charge air out of the second turbo into the motor.

Now obviously this would be some serious fab and plumbing work, and who knows if there is space for it.

This has been done on large industrial diesels before and is common.

But with all the recent twin set ups going in I'm wondering if anyone has even considered it. Not sure if anyone has considered it, but I would think it would be beneficial.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like a second IC, but space is limited.......

Maybe water/air? Or just use water injection. ;)
Yeah I know but I guess my thought was to get around having to use water injection, which I think the second IC may do.

·
Drink til she's cute
4,873 Posts
I would like a second IC, but space is limited.......
Maybe water/air? Or just use water injection. ;)
What do you mean limited?

Jobe offers a hood mounted kit Joey!!!!! That dude is cutting edge bro!!!!:pointlaugh: (jack off)

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
What works best as far as space and cost in concerned, is to run both stages of turbos through one intercooler. Like Joey said, if thats not enough, usually water injection after the intercooler will help keep the temps in check, while also doing a nice cleaning of the engine. Im thinking about doing water just to clean the engine up a little inside.

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
I actually set mine up to do precisely what this thread says. Run the first stage through the Air:Air at the front and then run over to a Water:Air where the airbox used to be. But I ran out of steam, and gave in to the water injection for the second stage for now.

I am still setup to run from the second stage over to a water:air core and back to the intake.

And it is a big space issue, and it is a PITA.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you mean limited?

Jobe offers a hood mounted kit Joey!!!!! That dude is cutting edge bro!!!!:pointlaugh: (jack off)
Funny you mention that, I was jokingly going to mention that in my first post but I knew someone would bring it up eventually.

·
Drink til she's cute
4,873 Posts
Nice assist!!!!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually set mine up to do precisely what this thread says. Run the first stage through the Air:Air at the front and then run over to a Water:Air where the airbox used to be. But I ran out of steam, and gave in to the water injection for the second stage for now.

I am still setup to run from the second stage over to a water:air core and back to the intake.

And it is a big space issue, and it is a PITA.
Interesting, my only thought of where another air/air cooler could go is stacked in front of the original some how. I would think a smaller one would possibly fit and would be sufficent to cool the first stage, and then run the second stage to the bigger IC. And again, plumbing would still be a nightmare.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
There is already enough stuff stacked in front, adding another CAC infront of the cooling stack would present cooling issues for engine coolant if you used the truck for anything other than racing.

The setup Charles has in mind would be a better bet. Mount a water to air core where it is easy, then mount a rad for the WAC under the bed with a fan on it or in the bed, etc. This would also work good for race day as you could pack the aftercooler with ice.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
2 IC's will fit in the front with no more plumbing than what mikey has in his avatar.
They'll fit, and it'd be better than 1 CAC, but not nearly as good as a CAC and a WAC :D

The front most CAC will be transfering heat into the second CAC significantly reducing it's effiency. The more coolers in the stack the more resistance to air flow and the total amount of air passing threw the cooling stack will be less and even more heat will be put into the coolant.

It'll work, but a water to air aftercooler would be better, or one of each. For a race truck two CACs would work fine, but it's a lot harder to pack ice in them.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
There is power in the water I would like to play with water alittle. I missed my chance on a gasser(Eclipse turbo) back a few yrs. ago but thats another story.I think the way Chuck is talking would be alot less hassle.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
They'll fit, and it'd be better than 1 CAC, but not nearly as good as a CAC and a WAC :D

The front most CAC will be transfering heat into the second CAC significantly reducing it's effiency. The more coolers in the stack the more resistance to air flow and the total amount of air passing threw the cooling stack will be less and even more heat will be put into the coolant.

It'll work, but a water to air aftercooler would be better, or one of each. For a race truck two CACs would work fine, but it's a lot harder to pack ice in them.
Just think of the money you will save and the performance increase of the 203 degree thermostat:poke:

all kidding aside you can stagger the IC's in the front so you only have 50% of one in front of 50% of the other.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Just think of the money you will save and the performance increase of the 203 degree thermostat:poke:

all kidding aside you can stagger the IC's in the front so you only have 50% of one in front of 50% of the other.
Uh Id like to see this on a daily driver man I just tore one apart for a Cummins conversion and man it looks alittle crowded.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Uh Id like to see this on a daily driver man I just tore one apart for a Cummins conversion and man it looks alittle crowded.
What are you talking about?
you can fit a GT55 and 2 IC's up there:pointlaugh:

plus the ac condenser:poke::D
of course it doesn't hurt to have Joe hellman in your back pocket either:D

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
What are you talking about?
you can fit a GT55 and 2 IC's up there:pointlaugh:

plus the ac condenser:poke::D
of course it doesn't hurt to have Joe hellman in your back pocket either:D
OK smart guy....And Joe is alittle big to be in your back pocket..........Aint he ?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I see your point but don't agree completely, the number of passes in any heat exchanger and it's overall efficiency and design has the most effect on heat transfer, air flow has some effect but not as much are design factors. Yes there may be some heat transfer between two coolers close to each other, but the same thing is happening to all the other coolers up in the front all the time.

You may be right about restriction of air flow to the radiator but I don't think it would be a huge difference. Theoretically you could calculate the increase in the air flowing threw a specific IC based on the manufactures specs, add everything up and figure out what temp the air temp passing the radiator would be with an added IC. I bet it's only a few degrees more if that, which would not effect the cooling of the radiator. Just think when people use a second inline Trans cooler up front or a 6.0 cooler and take up more space/airflow, same idea but people have no issues.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts