Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i got my tw chip today and got it installed and it is aswome besides a couple little things that i dont like. First off it makes my truck shift wierd and really really hard when iam getting on it, less than 3/4 throttle. and when i switch pos. it wont take any throttle for prolly 2 or 3 seconds. and if its idling itll idle so low that itll die. does anyone have these problems? Then i was driving thru town and my powersteering pump went out, well i think, its dark, so ill look in the morning to know for sure but iam almost pos. its the pump.

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
Try not changing it under any load at all. I doubt it will cure your problems for throttle response issues though. You have to give the pcm time to adjust for the settings.

As for your shifting. If it wasn't happening at all before then its in your tunes. TW tunes will firm up shifts quite a bit and to some it will take some getting used to. Its not a bad thing at all.

Unless its obviously a really hard shift and you know it's not right then it may be a transmission issue and the tunes just magnified the problem.

I doubt the tranny tunes are mis written, but there could be a chance that something went wrong with the tunes and sending the chip in to get re-burned will be the only way to fix it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya i think its just having the shift kit on top of the tunes and it makes for one hell of a shift and if i dont give it a lil bit of throttle itll die everytime

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I had a lot of trouble with my TW tuning. Tony was always very willing to help, but for some reason we never sorted it out so I moved on and tried a different tuner and had much better luck. Also, two good friends had tuning issues with chips from Tony, and both no longer have their chips tuned by him.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great guy to work with and do business with and he's very willing to help, but he couldn't seem to get me or my two buddies trucks to run or shift quite right. Just something to think about, bud.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya i understand toney is busy but it seems like hes to busy. ive heard he had sum family issues, and i understand that, and ive heard hes moving but it seems like hes been moving for months. and he wont answer his calls. in my opinion its no way to run a buisnesss. but what do i know?? I just think if hes that far behind maybe he needs to hire some more help or something. and i figured that he would give me a decal to put on my truck to promote his buisness. but the decal is no big deal. just would like others to know who my truck is tuned by.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But i do gotta say the truck runs great besides the probs stated. PSD fan what all custom tunes have you tried that are sponsors. and how do you like swamps? any negs?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Ya i understand toney is busy but it seems like hes to busy. ive heard he had sum family issues, and i understand that, and ive heard hes moving but it seems like hes been moving for months. and he wont answer his calls. in my opinion its no way to run a buisnesss. but what do i know?? I just think if hes that far behind maybe he needs to hire some more help or something. and i figured that he would give me a decal to put on my truck to promote his buisness. but the decal is no big deal. just would like others to know who my truck is tuned by.
Yes he's a busy guy with some very serious family issues going on. He's had people helping him take orders and do customer support stuff, but I know how you feel.

I hate to say it, but I'd honestly cut my losses and call one of the other tuners and have them re-tune your TW chip with their tunes for an average price of $100-$200. That's what I did, and I know many others have. Swamps, Bean's, Gearhead, PHP, Diesel Innovations are all tuners that I'd suggest.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
But i do gotta say the truck runs great besides the probs stated. PSD fan what all custom tunes have you tried that are sponsors. and how do you like swamps? any negs?
Tuning that has been on my truck:
Superchips programmer, Edge Evolution, TW, DP-Tuner, and Swamp's.

In all honesty, the Swamp's tuning runs, drives, shift, sounds, and responds the best from all the above listed on my truck. I've heard amazing things about the other tuners I listed in my previous post, but I haven't tried most of them so I can't really comment. Swamp's is my tuner of choice, so far I've had great luck, and they're helluva guys to do business with. Chip re-burn is $100 last time I talked to Jonathan. Money well spent IMO.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
the rough shifts may be because it was tuned for a vb..
mine was worse then that in the hot tune and it was generic ts tunes.
it would shift so hard i thought a honda rearened me the first time.

tony has great tunes and depending on which forum your on one of the best.
tunes are geared to a certain series of pcms so switching to a newer pcm may make it worse.

he will gladly reburn it espec since you just got it. I would not bail on him yet, maybe you can get him to burn one on a new blank and ship his back..
at the same time. it may cost a bit more for shipping but would speed things up. just a thought and asking a bit from tony . but an idea none the less.

·
Registered
140 Posts
some times this can happen when the box codes are off say like if u have tunes that are wrote in for a yev3 box code and then u have a few with MNMO sometimes they wont work well together and the truck seems to scatter for info from the pcm and dies :confused: i am not a professional with this just yet but some of our tunes that we have written have done this thank god it was testing a truck and not getting shipped to a customer but i am sure if u call them they will get ya fixed up ,,, o and some times if the icp pressure that the chip is requesting is to high it will also cause this :confused: as like if the tow tune demands 650psi @ idle and the stock tune is only 478 or so @idle the truck will then die :( hope this helps i am sure if matt sees this or cody they can explain better

·
RDRCM
1,922 Posts
Thanks for the update on Tony's business and personal situations Jake, and I'm glad you're helping people cut their losses, considering everything he has an issue with will be fixed for FREE.

Tony doesn't have stickers, and doesn't always have time to answer the phone. Sorry if that's a deal breaker.

I would drive your truck more with the chip have, several days in each position, taking good notes of what you need addressed. The fix will only be as good as your communication to Tony. Send the chip back to Tony, with your detailed note, including detailed transmission modifications, and wait on your chip to return for free. Tony could fix all of your issues in a few minutes with live tuning, but has to rely on your input on what exactly to change. You can continue to have your tuning refined for free, if you're willing to wait between mailings. If that is too much of a loss for you, then sorry for your trouble.

The guy telling you to cut your losses is recommending tuners he's never even tried, but I guess he read good things on the internet, and we all know that's true. You'll find more folks extremely happy with Tony's tunes than not, and you're already paid in full. No two trucks are a like, especially once modified, stick with what you've got, it will get worked out. Unless you want to with the flavor of the month opinion from the almighty diesel forums.

Chip reburn is $0 last time I talked to Tony. Money well saved IMO.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
ya i think its just having the shift kit on top of the tunes and it makes for one hell of a shift and if i dont give it a lil bit of throttle itll die everytime
did you tell him that you had a shift kit when you ordered it? thats the issure right there..if he tuned it for a stock truck he bumped up the line pressure which is the same thing that shift kit is doing... so your hard shifts are from that..

the cutting out between tunes might be a bad connection with the PCM itself... double check that its clean enough and reinstall the chip

-Raul

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Thanks for the update on Tony's business and personal situations PSD99, and I'm glad you're helping people cut their losses, considering everything he has an issue with will be fixed for FREE.

Tony doesn't have stickers, and doesn't always have time to answer the phone. Sorry if that's a deal breaker.

I would drive your truck more with the chip have, several days in each position, taking good notes of what you need addressed. The fix will only be as good as your communication to Tony. Send the chip back to Tony, with your detailed note, including detailed transmission modifications, and wait on your chip to return for free. Tony could fix all of your issues in a few minutes with live tuning, but has to rely on your input on what exactly to change. You can continue to have your tuning refined for free, if you're willing to wait between mailings. If that is too much of a loss for you, then sorry for your trouble.

The guy telling you to cut your losses is recommending tuners he's never even tried, but I guess he read good things on the internet, and we all know that's true. You'll find more folks extremely happy with Tony's tunes than not, and you're already paid in full. No two trucks are a like, especially once modified, stick with what you've got, it will get worked out. Unless you want to with the flavor of the month opinion from the almighty diesel forums.
You don't have the slightest idea what I have gone through with tuning from Tony, so don't pretend you know. And when I said "cut your losses" what I should have said was "if you don't want to send your chip back and forth several times.....". I said it before and I'll say it again, Tony couldn't get my truck to run right (even after 6 chips) and 2 close friends had trouble with shifting on their trucks. Mine is a 99, one friend is a 2000 and the other is a 97. 3 trucks, 3 different tuning problems and weeks wasted of sending chips back a forth, and all of us did the same thing.... cut our losses.

Sorry my posts have struck a nerve with you, no need to get worked up, I'm just posting my experiences with Tony's tuning on a thread where a guy is having problems with Tony's tuning. If there is any place that's more appropriate to post this kind of stuff, you let me know...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its the same chip i sent him for re-burn and the old tunes didnt have that problem. and yes i told him it had a shift kit. i just double checked and i did put it in the details. but iam just gonna drive it like it is for a lil while, cuz ive been without my truck tuned for a lil over a month so ill drive itll a while seeing as it takes a month to do the reburn. but ill give him a call tommorrow to see what he says.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i appreciate everyones help, and i dont wanna start any beefs. but i would have to agree with PSD Fan, i dont wanna have to send my chip back 6 times to fix it. if i had that problem i woulda prolly did the same , but ill give toney a fair chance to make it right.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Sooo what is your shift kit a vb or something else?

The 97 really surprises me tony used to be the king of obs tunes,
You guys filling your info out all the way?
If this was dot org tonyls followers would be ringing in by the dozens.
In wonder.

But alas dissn ones tunner is like talking smack about his wife, insta heat.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
Im running Tonys tunes on my the truck in my sig. shifts are spot on and smooth as silk and throttle input is where it should be, I have been more then happy everyday I have ran his tunes this past year. I would do as budro had stated and talk to Tony and give him a detailed list on what is going on, he can only help you out as much as you help him. I have talked to tony only a couple of time on the phone and one time I called and I belive he was busy with something but I didnt have to wait more then 5 mins before he called me back.

Like I said Im happy with his tunes and will stay with him.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts