Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Diesel Nut
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our current tv is taking a crap. We want to get a flat screen tv but we're not sure what kind to get. What's the difference between plasma and LCD. I know one works better in a dark room but no in light. What resolution is best. We're looking to make a comprimise with price and the best resolution we can get. Any input is appreciated.

·
TennesseeHillbilly
1,318 Posts
I have one of each. The picture quality on the LCD seems to me to be a little better in HD. Without HD they are about the same.
Neither have ever given any problems. The price of both have dropped considerably since I bought mine.

The LCD is mounted to my fireplace above the mantle. I built a hollow mantle and ran all the wires thru it over to the reciever an surround-sound equipment so it all looks clean.

I just got the biggest one that would fit between the mantle and the ceiling. It's a 52" Sony.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
I recently purchased an Insignia 46" LCD. I love it. I wanted the 55" but they were on back order and I would not wait. Its my 2nd LCD TV and I couldn't be happier.

I upgraded to a blueray player at the same time. The LCD+blueray is a good combo for action movies. Best buy has the Insignia.

·
Registered
340 Posts
There used to be a bigger gap between the 2 but technology on the LCD's has caught up. The plasma is regarded as giving more vibrant colors and "truer blacks" as well as being better for action, but is susceptible to burn in. LCD doesn't have the burn-in problem and technology has caught up making action sequence issues unnoticeable really.

I would stick with LCD or LED. Stick with 1080p. I don't even know if you can still find many 720p tvs out there anymore.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Buy American save american jobs!!!!! LOL

Sony Bravia and Sharp Aquas are the two best looking LCD's i've seen but they are more expensive than the rest. If you are looking at plasma Panasonic was rated the best by consumers report followed closely by Samsung.

I'm not sure what american made tv's are out there but you probably should buy one of those over the japanese built ones even if the quality and picture isn't as good you saved an american job. This is just what i have learned from some of the guys on this site :)

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
There used to be a bigger gap between the 2 but technology on the LCD's has caught up. The plasma is regarded as giving more vibrant colors and "truer blacks" as well as being better for action, but is susceptible to burn in. LCD doesn't have the burn-in problem and technology has caught up making action sequence issues unnoticeable really.

I would stick with LCD or LED. Stick with 1080p. I don't even know if you can still find many 720p tvs out there anymore.
Smaller TV's (like 32" or smaller) have 720. On the smaller TV's, it is hard to tell the difference between 720 and 1080. On the bigger TV's 1080 is very important.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
stick with sony samsung or sharp, the 3 S's and you won't go wrong.

I am getting a 55 sony led this weekend!!! can't freaking wait.

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
Our current tv is taking a crap. We want to get a flat screen tv but we're not sure what kind to get. What's the difference between plasma and LCD. I know one works better in a dark room but no in light. What resolution is best. We're looking to make a comprimise with price and the best resolution we can get. Any input is appreciated.
I may have this backwards...

Plasma (i think) has a tendency to burn the image into the screen. If you hit pause for an extended period of time, that image will be burned into it. Or for say, video games, you usually have something in the corners for stats, that image will be burned in.

Someone may chime in to clear it up.

As far as resolution, 1080i is the best. 1080p and 720p are most common.

·
Registered
675 Posts

Plasma (i think) has a tendency to burn the image into the screen. If you hit pause for an extended period of time, that image will be burned into it. Or for say, video games, you usually have something in the corners for stats, that image will be burned in.

you are correct plasmas aren't as good for video games for that reason but you can view a plasma from any angle unlike a LCD or projection

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
stick with sony samsung or sharp, the 3 S's and you won't go wrong.

I am getting a 55 sony led this weekend!!! can't freaking wait.
:whs:

42" Samsung here. Never turn back. That or look into one of those bad ass 3d tv's from Samsung. I think their runnin about $800 higher right now. :ford::ford:

·
Registered
340 Posts

1080i is the old technology. 1080p is the top resolution now.

The rest is spot on.

·
Diesel Nut
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input guys. We ended up getting a Samsung 46" LED.

·
Registered
217 Posts
very good choice on the tv and for the guys that don't know this the difference in the resolution is this. 480, 720, 1080 is the lines of resolution that is written across the screen. the i and p means interlaced or progressive and that is how the tv writes the information. interlaced will write the info in lines across the screen it will go 1 3 5 7 9 11 13 15 and so on down the screen until it hits the bottom and that depends on what resolution you have 720 1080 and so on. then it will come fill in the blanks lines 2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 until it finishes writing the information and then it will start over for the next frame. progressive writes the info in order 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 and so on until it is finished and then it starts a new frame.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts