Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering your guys opinion on journal bearing turbo vs ball bearing turbo. Been looking at the new KC turbo tiger turbo 63/73 to replace my Gtp38R turbo. Is it worth the extra cash for a ball bearing unit. Or just go with the 360 journal bearing. One reason I am asking is they are a few weeks out on have a ball bearing turbo ready to go but have a journal bearing ready to go. Pros and cons on both please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Go speak to kcturbo directly.

Layman’s terms.. ball bearing anything is better than journal bearings.

Dieselsite has a gtp38r thay also has ball bearings. I have both the dieselsite gtp38rand the kcturbo. Honestly alter all the driving, I can’t tell a difference.

If you have the money, get the one with ball bearings.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I honestly think he meant that he has a gtp38..

Gtp38r All have ball bearings IIRC

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I believe the tiger turbo is just a stock turbo with this installed. https://kcturbos.com/collections/7-3-powerstroke/products/balanced-assembly-diy-turbo-kit-7-3-powerstroke

So it really depends on what you have for upgrades and what you plan to do in the future. Do you have bigger injectors or plan on it? What's up with the gtp38r?

I do have the Gtp38R turbo now it is running just fine. . I having trouble keeping egt’s down with my 180/30 injectors and my adrenaline hpop. With built trans. Tuning is hydra and 1023 tunes. I am working on getting tunes revised. I have been in contact with kc turbo and they are telling me that that turbo will run cooler and build boost faster than the Gtp38R I have now being that I tow at 9000 feet plus.

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
So have you tried cranking down the waste gate on the turbo? Your in colorado right? What rpm are you having issues at?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So have you tried cranking down the waste gate on the turbo? Your in colorado right? What rpm are you having issues at?

I have not cranked the waste gate down. Low to mid range 1800-2300 rpm. How much to crank the waste gate?

·
Administrator
8,278 Posts
Give it two more turns and see what happens.
1800 is a touch low. I usually keep it above 2k.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I do have the Gtp38R turbo now it is running just fine. . I having trouble keeping egt’s down with my 180/30 injectors and my adrenaline hpop. With built trans. Tuning is hydra and 1023 tunes. I am working on getting tunes revised. I have been in contact with kc turbo and they are telling me that that turbo will run cooler and build boost faster than the Gtp38R I have now being that I tow at 9000 feet plus.

If you have the GTP38R then you already have a ball bearing turbo. The stock unit is a gtp38 journal bearing turbo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts