Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well pulled the turbo today to change the pedestal. When i looked inside, the wheel looks all chopped up. here is a picture:

The turbo inlet is not bent as the picture looks, the picture just got a little messed up on my phone. Also, I am wondering how much play the wheel is supposed to have? felt like around 1/8 inch back and forth play. I am assuming that I need to replace the wheel, correct?

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Yeh,the wheel needs replaced,but the play you described ain't bad.Whats the intake or filter our you runnin? Is there marks on the inside of the housing?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no marks that i noticed earlier, i'll check it out again in the morning. i am running the K&N intake system with K&N filter. I've heard good and bad about them, PO put it on there. planning to upgrade at some point in the future

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
I would never put a KN filter on a diesel.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Pull the compressor housing. The wheel is touching the housing at several points around the housing. Not to mention with that much wheel damage there is damage inside and you want to get out as many pieces as you can before they get sucked into the engine and do real damage.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Looks like your K&N worked .....not very well. When your ready for a Tymar let me know.

Cary

·
<----Colin Banks
3,001 Posts
What really sucks is this.. Every piece that is missing went into your engine....

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep, I am hoping the pieces didn't do much damage. the truck ran just fine before i pulled the turbo, I had no idea I had problems until I pulled the turbo and looked in there. only reason i had pulled it was to gut the pedestal. no telling how long it has been like that :doh:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is there a filter that I can replace the KN with and still use the KN intake?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
NAPA 6637 filter is the filter of choice. I have no idea if it will fit under the hood with the K&N intake tube. Post up a pic of the engine bay where the intake tube is and we could tell you.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright will do in a bit. I wanna change that chit before i drive the truck again

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Best filter is the Donaldson and its cheaper and shows up at your door!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well didn't have a chance to get a picture of the intake setup since i haven't got the truck back together. put the new turbo wheel on and checked for clearance and play, although play is under 1/8, actually closer to 1/16, the wheel still scrapes the housing on the intake side. So i reckon my options are buy a new turbo, buy an aftermarket turbo, or buy a used turbo. what would you all suggest? in the interest of cost, i will most likely go for the used turbo option

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
or i could buy a rebuild kit, how hard is it to rebuild? seeing as how i only have moderate mechanical skill, would it be a risky move to rebuild mine? i found a used one with 150k for around 100 bucks plus shipping. thoughts? Thanks for all the help folks

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
1/16'' shouldn't rub the housing,and remember when the motor is runnin the oil will center the shaft(or have less play),but Beans Diesel has a nice rebuild kit.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, Beans was the one I had seen. it is a little more than 1/16". it scrapes along the housing a pretty good bit. I'd be a bit worried to stick it back on there and chance ruining the brand new wheel. and sending more chit into my engine :doh:

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Is it up and down or in and out?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the play i am talking about is actually me pushing the wheel in and out, but now that you mention it, it does have a tiny bit of play up and down

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
the play i am talking about is actually me pushing the wheel in and out, but now that you mention it, it does have a tiny bit of play up and down
The play your mentioning is normal,you might want to do more investigating to your problem.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well the reason i pulled the turbo in the first place was to plug the pedestal because it was leaking oil like crazy from the EBPV rod actuator hole. is it possible that the large amount of leaking oil caused there to not be enough oil pressure to keep the wheel centered in the turbo? therefore allowing the wheel to contact the housing and get chewed up? here is another picture of the compressor wheel after removal..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts