Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard some conflicting stories about certain upgrades not working correct with the 99 superduty opposed to the 00-03. Is this true? I am not all up on the 7.3L's and wanted to know what you guys thought would be the best option turbo wise. I was planning on keeping the sticks stock for now and getting some sort of 6 position chip.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
depends on when your truck was manufactured.. its 99.5 up to 2003.. if you have a early 99 then your options for turbo setups would be diffrent from the 99.5-2003....

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm yeah the truck is not in front of me right at this moment. I'll need to check that out tomorrow.

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Does it have the powerstroke badge on door or front fender? Its common for early 99s to have it up front.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
You can still upgrade to any turbo you want to. Early '99 is just more money to upgrade. I am upgrading my early "99 to an H2E.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
An h2e is the same price for either both need a new mount.
The bean d66 turbo is the only drop on turbo for e99.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm I'm not sure. Its not in a truck, it just came to me on a pallet. The build date was in 98.

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Hmmm I'm not sure. Its not in a truck, it just came to me on a pallet. The build date was in 98.
built in 98 was considered and e99. you would need the d66 or upgrade your pedistal, uppipes, etc. to go with anything else

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing major. I dont plan to do anything to crazy. I was going to slap a TS-6 postion chip on it and then make freshen up the turbo. I wanted something I could possibly grow into if i wanted to add sticks.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Sounds very reasonable to me. That chip gives you access to all the tuners on this site sans one.
[email protected]
Swamps
Beans
PHP
TW
DI
TDS
BTS

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
There is a few option for the turbo. You could go with a D66 which is a drop in for the early 99s. You could go with a H2e which comes with the whole kit and everything you need to make the turbo work and the H2e is a BAMF turbo. You could call Diesel Innovations and have David set you up a kit with a 38R or you could go bigger and have a 40 or even a 42R setup in your truck. There is many options and routes to go. It depends on what your willing to spend and how far this truck is going to go HP wise in the future. You can always get a turbo like an H2e and get it modded down the road if you put big enough injectors in it. I would imagine a 40 or even a 42R would be ok with just a chip and the 42R can flow some serious air through it and be good for IIRC 600HP. Options my freind Options!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well i dont think 600HP is going to be what i'm shooting for. I think i'm gonan put this into my work truck. So i just want a little extra umph. I think the tuner will provide all of the required HP, but you never know. When you say 40-42R etc etc I assume you mean some sort of Garret turbo. Would you guys just stick with a TS chip or have one of the guys on here write me a tune?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I would get with one of the sponsors here and get a chip and tunes from them. Like Tarm says, all except one of them use a TS style chip. (It will have their name on it, but it is the same chip).

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
Dont use the TS can tunes. Your trans will be very unhappy. I would go with whoever your preference is. If you get a D66 turbo which is the drop-in for the early 99 get it from beans with a chip from them to. There tunes are some of the best out there. Call them up and see what they will do for you.

Yes the 40R and 42R are the garrett turbos.

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
go with a 40R. Its a BB turbo so its a fast spooling turbo.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
That manual will save a lot of money vs upgrading n auto
Get a hold of beans diesel performance. The d66 is just what you want.it flows as much as an h2e, but will just drop in. You can grow to stg1 or 2 injectors with the same turbo.
But beans is one of the best tuners out there..and there is no all out best, everyone has a favorite tuner. But bean will be the most familar. With that turbo. course you will need anintake,exhuast gauges as well...well at least a pyro or egt and mayby a boost.for that you might even look into popping in a 650 pannel but be sure and get the one for a mannual.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts