1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the late 99 7.3 with edge attitude programmer, at about 2,500 rpm
My truck seems to loose major horsepower. Turbo only boost to 18 psi max
I changed the fuel filter and have checked for leaks in my hoses. When filter
Was changed it seemed fine for a couple days. If you have any ideas on what I could
Do to fix it or help pin point my problem, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
853 Posts
is it stock air box or after market intake? it sounds more like a fuel issue than anything with the turbo as long as the compressor shaft has no play and the fins aren't torn to hell.

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
What is your fuel pressure? and at WOT?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't checked the screens in the tank, the old filter was jet black when I changed it.
I'm not sure on the fuel pressure, the gauge I had hooked to it started leaking so I took it off and plugged the hole. Also, when I get this problem fixed (if it's not the turbo) I need some ideas to make the turbo a little louder. Already 4in straight piped and do I need to get rid of the edge programmer and get the ts 6pos?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Definitely get rid of the edge. Your trans will thank you. And if you want your turbo louder you could get a wicked wheel 2

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a quick question, if the turbo wheel is loose or the fins are jacked, will I need to rebuild the entire turbo or just replace the wheel? Excuse my questions but I'm no diesel mechanic. Also, someone said it could be a faulty wastegate. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Just unplug the waste gate actuator it's the little red hose that goes behind the turbo on the drivers side and plug it by sticking it to the head on one of your ic pipe clamps and if the wheel is loose or the fins are jacked up your best bet is to rebuild the thing with a 360 thrust bearing its cheap and easy to do. The hardest part about rebuilding the turbo is getting it in and out just look for a 360 turbo rebuild kit its mabey 90 bucks and well worthevery penny

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks man. Doing that didn't help so next is check the wheel, it will be a few days before I can do that. Going to shoot for Saturday so I will be back on here with what I find then. I really appreciate all the input you guys are giving.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just figured out a couple new things, don't know if it will help with pin pointing the issue but I unplugged the map sensor and nothing changed, no check engine light or anything. Also, when in park I can hold it on 2000 rpm and get a half pound of boost. Is this normal or should I get more? I will be checking the wheel Saturday when I have more time, I will get back with you all then. Thanks

·
Registered
853 Posts
half pound of boost at 2k rpms? id say you have some turbo troubles or one heck of a boost leak somewhere

·
Registered
853 Posts
Look for black soot. You could also use soapy water to see if there's a rip in the boots

·
Registered
853 Posts
What intake is on your truck specifically?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts