Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using them? Useless? And how easy is an install? Anyone reccomend a brand

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thought about it first but when on my phone the search button doesn't work.. Mods can close the thread

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
I use an electric pre-lube oil pump to pre-oil the engine prior to startup and post-lube after engine shutdown to cool the turbo. Turbo timers are not allowed if your in underground or enclosed parking areas.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use an electric pre-lube oil pump to pre-oil the engine prior to startup and post-lube after engine shutdown to cool the turbo. Turbo timers are not allowed if your in underground or enclosed parking areas.
That's awesome! I'm super paranoid about proper start up and shut down procedures on my truck. Do you have details on your setup?

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Lol good point , then again half the parking garages around dont fit superduties with roof racks.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
i have a scorpion turbo timer, its programmable to run the truck up to 5 minutes, or i can set it to keep the truck running and take the key out and lock the door. For the money i think it was 75$, its not bad, just have to tap into some ignition wires, i think if i was going to order another one i would try and find something that goes off the temperatures rather then time...

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
IMHO... Worthless.

Most times when you pull into a parking lot or your own driveway your EGT's are around 350-400*... Turn the damn key off and walk away.

There are MILLIONS of psd's out there that get run HARD and then pulled into the 7-11 and turned off. How many turbo failures do you hear because of this?

None.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Justthink of them poor 7.3 ups trucks, them drivers run the trucks harder than anything else. Full throttle 2nd gear starts to move up 2 houses and shut them off immediately. There still tickin!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is why I asked! I still like the pre lube pump idea though

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
That's awesome! I'm super paranoid about proper start up and shut down procedures on my truck. Do you have details on your setup?
The company I bought it from no longer seems to be around. Too bad as I love it, when I hit my remote start by the time the glowplugs are heated up the prelube pump has presssured up the oil syste, stays running for a total of about three minutes. Then when you shut off the ignition it stays running for six minutes.

·
BrokeAss
841 Posts
Justthink of them poor 7.3 ups trucks, them drivers run the trucks harder than anything else. Full throttle 2nd gear starts to move up 2 houses and shut them off immediately. There still tickin!
I was just thinking about this ten minutes ago when the ups guy pulled up full throttle then shut er down. :doh:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any info on these pre lube systems? Price, reputable suppliers etc?

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Damn I wish the company I bought mine from was still around as they had a number of systems you could chose from, they even had 24 volt systems. Building one yourself is very possible but the hard part is automating it so you are not forced to start and stop the pump yourself.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
IMHO... Worthless.

Most times when you pull into a parking lot or your own driveway your EGT's are around 350-400*... Turn the damn key off and walk away.

There are MILLIONS of psd's out there that get run HARD and then pulled into the 7-11 and turned off. How many turbo failures do you hear because of this?

None.
completely agree... I just make sure im under 400° and shut it off...

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
I take in to account what I was doing, towing, driving hard, ect. Look at yout EGT,s and let it run a couple minutes tops works. Just have to remember your oild doesnt drop temps like your EGT,s. The whole idea behind running the motor was to circulate oil though the turbo till the oil temps came down some. THe enginers claim in test they see coking in the turbo from the hot oil, I guess it just boils down to using your head, paying attention to our gauges.

Dan

·
Road Hammer
628 Posts
A bit curious about this as well. Don't think I've turned my truck off before with EGT's higher than 300. Usually only takes a few seconds to drop to 225-250*, so not really a dire issue for me.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
It only takes your engine a few seconds to drop? Wow, if I idled mine to cool down after towing it would take mine several minutes! I must drive mine a lot harder I guess.

·
I love you bigrpowr!
1,181 Posts
IMHO... Worthless.

None.
This is funny coming from the guy with the amount of gauges you have. Do you really need all those gauges, no just like you really don't need a turbo timer. The only reason I would want a timer is the instances where I wanted to leave my vehicle running but not leave the keys in it.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I like remote starts that have timers built in, you can hop out with keys ar a gas station for a min, warm it up in winter , have a much longer range to lock an unlock if you forget.
Alarms etc....if you wanted a prelube you just add it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts