Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine was driving down the intersate when suddenly his 03 6.0L started surging very badly and a smell of coolant filled the cab. About 50 miles down the road the truck just died? Towed it back to town and got it in the shop and there is a coolant leak from what looks like the back of the passenger side head. Wondering if it can be a EGR cooler???? Got it to start for about 15 seconds once and it just pissed coolant out. I am believing the smell came from blow by from the degas bottle, possibly from the EGR cooler. But the oil does look a little light brown to me not black, but I know that coolant has a hard time getting into the oil with the compression on these motors. Yet there was not any coolant left to see any milky blow by through the cap on the degas. I could really use some help or thought on whether a head gasket or something with the EGR. Havent done compression test yet. Any thoughts help. Thank you. :confused:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Re: turbo surging and coolant smelll led to coolant leak and no start? PLEASE HELP!!!

A friend of mine was driving down the intersate when suddenly his 03 6.0L started surging very badly and a smell of coolant filled the cab. About 50 miles down the road the truck just died? Towed it back to town and got it in the shop and there is a coolant leak from what looks like the back of the passenger side head. Wondering if it can be a EGR cooler???? Got it to start for about 15 seconds once and it just pissed coolant out. I am believing the smell came from blow by from the degas bottle, possibly from the EGR cooler. But the oil does look a little light brown to me not black, but I know that coolant has a hard time getting into the oil with the compression on these motors. Yet there was not any coolant left to see any milky blow by through the cap on the degas. I could really use some help or thought on whether a head gasket or something with the EGR. Havent done compression test yet. Any thoughts help. Thank you. :confused:
To me it sounds like it got so hot it just blew the egr cooler and may have popped the oil cooler if so big trouble you will have to change out all the hoses because the oil will eat up the rubber and the system will need to be flushed with a gallon of Restore and distilled water before the repairs if it is the problem could be the egr cooler hose popped. Need gauges and not the ones in the dash something like the Edge CTS or ScanGaugeII
2 stroker

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: turbo surging and coolant smelll led to coolant leak and no start? PLEASE HELP!!!

well he does have both an egt (after turbo tho, which i tried to tell him to change....) and boost guage and he says nothing got hot egt's were running about 1000 but the boost was obviously fluctuating with the surging. but other than those he only has the dash guages. but none of those were showing hot

·
Registered
652 Posts

well he does have both an egt (after turbo tho, which i tried to tell him to change....) and boost guage and he says nothing got hot egt's were running about 1000 but the boost was obviously fluctuating with the surging. but other than those he only has the dash guages. but none of those were showing hot
We tell him to pull the pyro and put a plug in it and install here
This is a must if you pull heavy even if you do not, need for cool down 350*-360* before you turn the key off.
After drilling it out i used a magnet with a paper clip with a L shape on the end clip taped to the magnet run in the hole to remove any steel then tap the hole going only half way with the tap so you do not over size the hole, do not use grease. (the steel is soft so be carefull) Take is slow.

3-Gauge Install Pictures
Just how low on coolant was it and he still needs gauges for 150$ he can get the ScanGaugeII a great tool and will tell you alot about the truck:doh:
2 stroker

1 - 4 of 4 Posts