Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed my gearhead tuned ts, and it runs great! although when accelerating the turbo will surge usually does it on a slow roll on the throttle when im in overdrive i dont know what this means! is the turbo going bad? can i tune for this issue? i am worried once i hook up my trailer it will make it worse.

·
Canadian Stroker
577 Posts
Had the same problem. It got relay bad when I hooked to my fifth wheel. Put on a ported housing no surge good to go!:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
What would happen if you did both the wheel and ported housing?

·
Registered
209 Posts
its not necessary just do one or the other unless you wanna waste money

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kinda work is involved in installing the ported housing, what else should I look for inside the turbo?

·
Well Hung Member
635 Posts
shaft play, chipped or "machined" wheels, the dirt from a sub-par air filter, or a mis seated air box lid, will evenly machine the wheels on your compressor wheel, but i think i ran like the x wheel or something, and theyre selling for like 55 bucks, and its worth a shot before paying 400 bucks for a compressor housing, but ive heard you dont want to run both for audible reasons haha, think the x wheel is at xtremediesel.com or something

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
wheel did nothing for me, go with the housing

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I have seen the wheel not work for some but others it does. Makes it louder for sure. The housing seems to always work but is also much more $$. If the money is not a large issue I would go for the housing. On my uncles truck is took care of the surging and he tows very heavy often.

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
The WW worked for me, for the money its a plus but I did lose about 1 or 2 pounds of boost, it was noticeable, like I lost some power because it flows more air than the stock wheel. It was a good upgrade, did the job plus it whistled on exceleration. Ported housing would have been my choice if the cash was there at the time.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Couldn one port the current housing and basically have the $400 version for say 50 bucks?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The loss in boost would be worth being able to have a smooth turbo under loads at high boost

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
look them up on ebay i think i saw one for like a $hundo on there once cause i was havin the same prob with my stocker

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I think that the word "ported" may be confusing to a couple people here.

A "ported" housing is not one that has had the inducer bore (inlet) machined out larger like the expensive ones on ebay like this:

FORD POWERSTROKE 7.3 STAGE 1 PERFORMANCE TURBO 94-97 : eBay Motors (item 220565520637 end time Apr-01-10 20:19:49 PDT)

A true "ported" housing looks like this:
Ats ported housing image by f22pwrdaccord on Photobucket

For a description of how the ported housing actually works, read this:

Antisurge/Ported Shrouds

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The WW din't work for me either it only moved my surge from 9-10# boost to th 12# range, but the housing cured it all the way to 22#, Idon't know what happens after 22 since my gate will open up.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Turbomaster gate from dieselsite may help you w that

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would think the best thing to do would be to get the ww. If you find its still surging, get the nonwastegated 1.0 exhaust housing from beans.

This will fix your surge and allow for growth into a little bigger injectors

1 - 20 of 23 Posts