Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i was wondering if the turbo flutter/surge can be an issue in the long run? It seems as if it has been getting worse. whats the worst thing that can happen?

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
BOOM !!!! Stock turbos dont last long when they surge, sounds like its gonna explode at any moment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea thats what i kinda figured. It will do it even when im not towing and driving on flat ground just passing people. I was looking into new turbos and it looks like the 38r is a pretty decent set up for daily driving. Any one have any input on a direct bolt on turbo besides the gtp38r?

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Theres some out there that are a moded stock one, go for around 1400 I believe. Go through the sponsors on here, I know a few sell them. Other than that theres not a lot of drop in's for the 7.3. You can take a stocker, rebuild it swap out the stock compressor housing for a ATS and cure the problem, or go to a WW. I did that , but I dont like the flow. I,m currenty going to a ATS and van set up with out a waste gate, I think that will work a lot better for what I do with my truck.

Dan

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
Dan makes some great points, ultimately if your going with, or have more power a 38R will do you fine, it has for me. If your staying stock or slightly modified a rebuilt stocker with a ATS is your best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i was looking to get a little more power, and i want a turbo that has ball bearings instead of journal bearings. I have a tuner, intake, and exhaust and some tranny upgrades. Is the 38r a brand new set up or is it a reman?

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
No thats a new turbo, Benefit of a stock turbo is you can rebuild them. Last I heard a BB you couldnt. A bb will get you faster spool up, cooler EGTs and a narally sound coming from your intake LOL. For a DD truck I,m kinda leaning away from it, I think for the money its better suited for a motor with larger injectors. Stock ones will work, but the gains are not quite the same as a guy with say 238's or larger. You can take a stock one do a littel tweeking and come up with a good set up that runs good and is reliable. That being said doesnt mean a BB isnt reliable, just is a lot of money your could spend on something else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts