Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a turbo rebuild kit with upgraded 66/88 wheels and housing. I was curious if anyone has any experience with this kit or something similar. My truck already has an afe intake and straight pipe exhaust and dp tuner. New to diesels but im very mechanical.

Attachments

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,399 Posts
eh. I'd just buy a new upgraded turbo. Assembled and tested by someone who does it for a living. Just my thoughts.

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,399 Posts
I know BD makes some. KC Turbos as well. There are plenty of other vendors online that sell ones either they make or are just distributors. The turbo you buy kinda depends on what you're looking for. I would advise looking at a couple turbos from some sites you like, then do some research and read reviews/problems with them and go from there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know BD makes some. KC Turbos as well. There are plenty of other vendors online that sell ones either they make or are just distributors. The turbo you buy kinda depends on what you're looking for. I would advise looking at a couple turbos from some sites you like, then do some research and read reviews/problems with them and go from there.
Truck is a daily driver, I traded for it because I needed something that can tow, materials for building my house. It's lifted on 38s so i has hoping for a small upgrade to get it pulling a little stronger. I don't want to crank the boost sky high, not looking for a race truck or sled puller if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I had never rebuilt a turbo before.
I found the Garret super easy to rebuild and upgrade.
Seriously, it is the easiest turbo to refurbish. 20+ Youtube videos to walk you through it

I have now done about 5 of them and I have 10K+ miles on my own unit which was the first one on the bench.....

WAY CHEAPER

do the deleted pedestal at the same time

·
Administrator
8,238 Posts
Definitely skip the 66mm wheel. It has poor results.
Buy the kc38r. Or just re gear the rear end.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
These turbos are nothing to rebuild.
With decent tuning a 66/88 is just fine. Better than stock, way cheaper than a drop in turbo.
Otherwise, I would recommend the KC38R.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,238 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Did you see that on PSA as well?
I had a 1.0 on my obs with the 66/88.
Worked fine for me. And that's a 94 with the smallest injectors. Lol

·
Administrator
8,238 Posts
Actually I was bored and looking at builds on pirate and came across it. I don't go to psa that often.

I sent Charlie a message this morning about it

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Ah. Someone has a thread going about a hybrid 38.

·
Administrator
8,238 Posts
Just looked it up and it's the same guy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for everyone's input, I guess I need to research it more. I know that a drop in turbo is gonna be the best option but that's not in the budget for now, I could definitely justify a drop in wheel or kit similar to what I shared especially considering that my turbo is in good condition with virtually no shaft play.

I was told the truck has been regeared, it also has a speed calibrator on it, so it does drive and shift good.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
You can always start with rebuilding your stocker yourself with a 360 thrust washer and billet wheel and see how you like it. It's cheap enough and will get you XP points.
Mine is making 25+# of boost really quickly and works well with the 6.0 intercooler and E99 Y pipe (stock 97 OBS turbo rebuilt with billet wheel, EBPV delete)
I mean compared to what this 1997 truck was like stock, I am happy with this turbo for now especially considering it was like $160 to upgrade it, allows me to put the $$$ into bellowed pipes, deleted ped, intercooler, swamps injection, etc and more time to research the next turbo upgrade. For me it will likely be the drop in ball bearing
I don't need to go wild with the T4 mount $$$$$..I am super happy with the way my 97 tows and daily drives..for now

·
Registered
3,368 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I bought it. I also bought the billet wheel to replace the cast wheel. Both wheels are exactly the same and the cast feels a little lighter.

We will see tomorrow as I plan to rebuild one of my Gtp38r. I don’t want to buy another kcturbo - it’s expensive and all I ever used from it was a max 20psi.

“Don’t overthink something simple people... ..:sigh:..”

·
PSN intsigator
6,609 Posts
Let me know what yall think of this compressor wheel. I bought one from riff raff and am not pleased, it spools so slow

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Let me know what yall think of this compressor wheel. I bought one from riff raff and am not pleased, it spools so slow

Which one did you get? The riffraff billet wheel? Well I have two wheels - you want to borrow the other one? It’s the 66x88 so it needs the ported housing.

As far as I know, if it produces boost more efficiently than the already pos I got, I’d be happy. I’m sure there’s a big o difference btwn it and my kcturbo but for basically 3/4 of the cost, I KNOW I’ll be happy - so long as it won’t blow up my engine (something I’m willing to risk with this beater).

·
PSN intsigator
6,609 Posts
I don't remember which one, it was around 100 bucks, but it has several raised fins and lowered half fins in between them
​ DieselDC;6085114 said:
Which one did you get? The riffraff billet wheel? Well I have two wheels - you want to borrow the other one? It’s the 66x88 so it needs the ported housing.

As far as I know, if it produces boost more efficiently than the already pos I got, I’d be happy. I’m sure there’s a big o difference btwn it and my kcturbo but for basically 3/4 of the cost, I KNOW I’ll be happy - so long as it won’t blow up my engine (something I’m willing to risk with this beater).

1 - 20 of 53 Posts