Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i got a couple questions concerning turbo flutter. i pretty much know how to get rid of it im just not sure on which method is the best. i was thinking about a ported shroud compressor housing or a WW or possibly both since the WW is supposed to make spool up quicker. what do you guys think is the best way to go?

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
get a 38r, its a actually performance upgrade that will cure surge.
Until you put 238's with it. LOL

The ported housing is the best. A WW is just a noise maker. Together, they will sing for you. Louder than a 38r in my opinion.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Until you put 238's with it. LOL

The ported housing is the best. A WW is just a noise maker. Together, they will sing for you. Louder than a 38r in my opinion.
will the ported housing spool up faster than stock? and is a x wheel the same as a WW?

·
PSD
958 Posts
they are a replacement wheel for a 94-97 powerstroke. call them what ever you want. they don't do to much.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
will the ported housing spool up faster than stock? and is a x wheel the same as a WW?
I can't remember if it did or not.

Also, you will lose a pound or more of boost with the WW(X wheel).

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gonna get the ported housing. thanks for the help guys!

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
college kid dont have to much money to spend right now. but i get what your saying, wish i could afford that monster. just figured i would take care of the problem before i damaged the turbo and then in the future replace the whole thing

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
for stock sticks i would do the wicked wheel..then save for the 38r, then injectors.

·
DAMN THATS HOT!
1,001 Posts
Im looking at getting my brother something for his SD. Since WW arent that expensive I was thinking it would be a good gift. He has a 01 SD that is bone stock. What benifits would he see from a WW. Even if it sounds better thats enough.

Also are these the same wheels that are on the OBS turbos? I have my old turbo and was wondering if you could just swap the wheel out?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Then spend 100 on a ww. How much can you tow when you're in college
when i go home on the weekends and work i typically am towing farm equipment from tractors to a trailer load of 15' christmas trees. so i actually tow quite a lot and my turbo has been taking a beating.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The wicked wheel cured mine. As stated, it's alot cheaper, and will probably fix the surge, so you can save your pennies for a real turbo.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,342 Posts
Im looking at getting my brother something for his SD. Since WW arent that expensive I was thinking it would be a good gift. He has a 01 SD that is bone stock. What benifits would he see from a WW. Even if it sounds better thats enough.

Also are these the same wheels that are on the OBS turbos? I have my old turbo and was wondering if you could just swap the wheel out?
WW will spool a tiny bit faster but flows a little less air..it moves the surge just a little bit higher in the RPM's..makes the tubo whistle a lot more if you have an open air filter like the 6637.. the WW is a stock wheel for the OBS trucks, so yes you can pull one out of an obs and put it in the SD...

·
DAMN THATS HOT!
1,001 Posts
WW will spool a tiny bit faster but flows a little less air..it moves the surge just a little bit higher in the RPM's..makes the tubo whistle a lot more if you have an open air filter like the 6637.. the WW is a stock wheel for the OBS trucks, so yes you can pull one out of an obs and put it in the SD...
Awesome! Thanks for the info!

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
when i go home on the weekends and work i typically am towing farm equipment from tractors to a trailer load of 15' christmas trees. so i actually tow quite a lot and my turbo has been taking a beating.
When you tow do you hear a pssht pssst pssst sound like a pressure cooker...if so that is surge.

The guy with the stock truck should see improvement if he tows at all. A great gift. If he can use a wrench.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your brother would LOVE you if you got him a 38R! Here is a pic stock/38R. Everyone loves pictures. 38R stopped all my surge issues.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 38r used to surge so bad that I could actually hear the insides of my boost gauge slamming around over the turbo whistle and surge noises. That turbo ended up costing about $1 per 10 miles I got out of it. It died after about 15,000 miles and it's not rebuildable. I'd either go with the cheap mods or go with a t4 mount turbo. Turbo options are virtually limitless with that setup.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts