• Other

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Project Shamu
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I want to get some more info on what everybody is running for a turbo, and how you like it.

I'm especially interested in the guys that did "drop-in" turbos, and ended up going T4 afterwards, and what your opinion on it was.

Also interested in what you do with the truck, daily driver, track only, tow pig, etc.

Discuss.

·
young guy, old trucks
152 Posts
I know I'm not running a 7.3 but I do like my s364.5 sxe. Really lights off after 1900 rpm which is a little late on the 6.7, but would be fine o a 7.3 that like a little more revs (especially if you've got more gearing).

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm running a stock (rebuilt) unit on mine for now,.....

BUT,....just as soon as Funds allow,.....I'm going to a T4 364.5SXE

·
Registered
193 Posts
My truck is a summers only...occasional driver....occasional tow rig (32ft 2 car open steel trailer)

Original upgrade was:

Intercooler
Beans E-fuel
E99 Spyder
Irate 3" plenums
EBPV Delete pedestal
T500 HPOP
Rosewood Stage 2's (160/80)
New up-pipes and gaskets
3" DP into 3 1/2 cat delete to a 4" w/ resonator
Brute 66 Turbo
Wildman tunes

Ran that for 2 summers (< 10,000 miles)

Ran well....just smoky....all the time...like enough to carbon up my rear bumper and rear wheel well...

Last summer I decided to go T4

Irate full T4 system S366SXE

Same tunes as before.

T4 system cleared up 90% of my smoke and definitely runs stronger.

It seemed like a lot of money way back when...and several people said just go T4 while I was asking opinions about the Brute etc..

Should've listened to them...

Dan

·
Native Texan
8,986 Posts
I running the stock with a 360 bearing bellowed pipes and couldn't be happier. now If they had had it when I was doing mine I might have got the dieselsite ball bearing turbo kit for the obs. But I had already bought delete pedestal up pipes and rebuilt the turbo. When Mine dies I will probably look at that to replace it with and pass on my up pipes and pedestal to a friend.

Give it to Mikey. He won't eat it he hates everything. Hey Mikey!! He Likes It.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I run a combo setup. Twin charged. I have a TVS roots blower feeding a S369 with a 1.0 turbine housing. I built some one off injectors that are north of 300cc and 200% nozzles. The injectors are a B code which are not typical. I daily drive it mostly but have other toys to drive. It goes off road, on road and tows a little. No racing or pulling. Truck has an old ZF5 with 3.55s

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
If your going to do it skip the bolt in. Most likely your up pipes are bad, so that adds to the cost.

I've done tons of searching and the 364.5 will move the compressor map down in the rpms to utilize the lower rpms but you might run out of air near red line. I try not to go that high on rpm anyway and I dont race. Towing would be much easier because you can run a lower rpm without being under the turbo. If your still on stock injectors the 364.5 will work, the 366 is just too big.

·
Native Texan
8,986 Posts
The dieselsite kit comes with new uppipes. I guess I just a happy camper no matter what. The only reason I would want to upgrade mine is for the ball bearings other wise stock has had more then enough power for me. Of course that could just me be me becoming the old man yelling at kids for driving to fast.

Give it to Mikey. He won't eat it he hates everything. Hey Mikey!! He Likes It.

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
I have the kc turbos version of the d66 and I'm not really happy. Like said above it's hot and smokey. Should of just saved some money and upgraded to a t4 setup.

·
Project Shamu
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If your going to do it skip the bolt in. Most likely your up pipes are bad, so that adds to the cost.

I've done tons of searching and the 364.5 will move the compressor map down in the rpms to utilize the lower rpms but you might run out of air near red line. I try not to go that high on rpm anyway and I dont race. Towing would be much easier because you can run a lower rpm without being under the turbo. If your still on stock injectors the 364.5 will work, the 366 is just too big.
But, then there's people like me, who already have bellowed up pipes, deleted pedestal, and intercooler pipes for e99 spyder, etc. If we go T4, we throw all that money away.

If a drop in KC or dieselsite can do the same, then why blow the money?

Obviously people all over don't like the D66 or GTP38R because of being smokey and hard to light.

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I have the kc turbos version of the d66 and I'm not really happy. Like said above it's hot and smokey. Should of just saved some money and upgraded to a t4 setup.
What exhaust housing you currently running?
j

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
I have the stock .84 housing. I also have some things working against me too. Like 37” tires, 3.73 gears, standard trans and bigger trans.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I have the stock .84 housing. I also have some things working against me too. Like 37” tires, 3.73 gears, standard trans and bigger trans.
Ok gotcha, that’s pretty long legged, interesting would have thought the .84 would clean up the smokiness good to know. Tan White Tan truck is 4:10s with 37s, with E4OD, stock turbo. Plan is to toss the E4 for a ZF 5 (as I don’t have a proven E4 builder close to home). Then put some reliable power to it. Thinking 205/30s, IC and not made up my mind on the turbo.... was initially thinking SXE 364.5 and T4, but also looking at some of the KC turbos.

Thanks for your insights.
j

·
Project Shamu
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On KC's website they claim to make an identical 366SXE in a drop in version for the OBS. If that's the case, its half the cost for me right now because I already have everything else, and I plan on 238/80s.

They also claim to have an identical 364.5 @JCart

1 - 20 of 32 Posts