Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
IH Diesel Power
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright My turbo is maken some weird sounds, It sounds like a fluttering sound and when it does it the boost gauge flutters with it and it loses power, it sounds like there is a leak but the really weird part is it does it most of the time when the tranny shifts into overdrive, like the shift from 3rd to 4th and it starts loosen power and maken noise. It wont hardly do it in any other gear, if you take it outa over drive it wont hardly do it at all but as soon as you let it shift up it starts and if your pullin a trailer it will do it the whole time its in OD and it has #### for power, even if im at 10 PSI or less during the shift it still will be maken noise. I checked all the intercooler boots and i tied the wastegate shut and it still does it and i cant figure it out, If it were a bad turbo i would think it would do it through all the gears, Am i missing somthing or is the turbo just junk? O and the tubo was just replaced last july and im gona step up to a 38R here anytime now as soon as i have the funds but id sure like to find the problem just in case it isnt the turbo

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
That noise is the result of surge.

The reason you notice it most in OD with a trailer is that you are trying to make too much boost at the low RPM. In technical terms, the pressure ratio is too high for the mass flow rate.
To fix, you need to reduce the pressure ratio (run at lower boost), raise the air mass flow rate (downshift, or put taller gears in), or find a turbo more correctly sized to your application (popular one is the GTP-38R or H2E).
You might be able to reduce the surge slightly by putting a Wicked Wheel in. It's a compressor wheel that's more aggressive, but makes more noise (turbo whistle).

·
Banned
459 Posts
thats a turbo surge you need a wicked wheel to stop that if u dont its bad on your turbo

·
IH Diesel Power
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok well its been gettin worse and worse all the time so im probably just gona have to upgrade turbos, it never used to be quite this bad but in the last 2 weeks it doesnt seem to have the power that it used to and even unloaded it surges almost everytime

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I think it is probably already to late to save yours. My vote goes to the H2E turbo.

·
IH Diesel Power
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright well i pulled my Intake off, reved up my motor and then shut it off, i k that isnt good for it but anyway after i reved it up and shut down the motor i watched the impellor and there is a noticalble amount of shaft play and after a few second that same noice starts and then stops right before it stops spinning, so like you said im guessing that turbo is shot, luckely its still under warranty and my uncle works at a diesel shop and he said he can get me a new 38r his cost for $1200.00 so im probably just gona go with that unless there is some huge advantage to having a H2E, idk much about them? Im just a college student so i dnt have alot cash on hand, Trien to pay off the Stroker, pay my rent, and pay for beer so there aint alot of money left over and i just got another M.I.P.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
38R sounds like the option of choice.

·
IH Diesel Power
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks For your help Guys

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
You could also make some money back by rebuilding and cleaning up your stocker for about a 100.00. Check around, seen rebuilds around from 300.00 400.00. You won't be disapointed the route your taking, 38R's are sweet, good luck.

·
IH Diesel Power
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well im already gettin 600 for my stocker because its still under warranty, and im gettin my 38R from the same place so actully im looking at about 700 dollars for a 38R shipped, pretty good deal id say and it helps that im gettin a hell of a discount

1 - 10 of 10 Posts