Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2003 6.0. I’m running into a strange kinda grinding noise.

Just a little back ground on it, last week I tore it down to replace with oem oil cooler.. I also took the turbo apart and did a cleaning on the veins. The install went pretty good and went back together pretty quickly. However, when at idle (intermittently) it has this kinda soft grinding noise. The best way I can explain the noise is the sound of a truck kinda creeping forward while braking on a hill, especially when you have weight kinda pushing you. Hope that makes sense.

The truck will only produce about 17 lbs of boost. It also makes this noise right at take off and also when coming to a stop. What do you guys think? Turbo and y pipe not seated? Exhaust leak? Or maybe something to do with the turbo. The odd thing is when the noise is going, I can press on the brake and it stops for a second but then comes right back it. So weird.

thanks in advance to everyone!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Don't drive it!

Can you hear the grinding when you shut off the engine and the turbo winds down?

Mine blew up on me and my engine ran away. Find it, fix it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,

Honestly it’s not very loud at all. I’ve looked over YouTube and cannot find anything that sounds like it. I don’t necessarily think it’s a component failure because before I tore into the motor to do the oil cooler it didn’t make the sound. When I took the turbo apart, I made sure I lined up the unison ring and everything appeared to go back in the way it came out. The weirdest thing is when I push hard on the brake the noise stops for a second.

Does anyone know what sounds, if any, I could get from the turbo connections not being seated correctly?
Thanks again

·
Registered
2006 F250, 6.0 powerstroke
22 Posts
Thanks for the reply,

Honestly it’s not very loud at all. I’ve looked over YouTube and cannot find anything that sounds like it. I don’t necessarily think it’s a component failure because before I tore into the motor to do the oil cooler it didn’t make the sound. When I took the turbo apart, I made sure I lined up the unison ring and everything appeared to go back in the way it came out. The weirdest thing is when I push hard on the brake the noise stops for a second.

Does anyone know what sounds, if any, I could get from the turbo connections not being seated correctly?
Thanks again
Check your heat shields.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys. Thanks so much for the input. Tomorrow I’ll take at look at those shields and make sure they are secure.. the map hose I just replaced. However, I never looked to clean out the port that it connects to. Tomorrow I’ll take a look at the shields and the Downpipe. These might be solutions due to it not having this sound before I tore into the motor and turbo for oil cooler replacement. I’ll be sure and follow up tomorrow. Also I’m going to attempt to post a YouTube link with the weird sound I’m getting!

thanks guys

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe so? It was my first time though. When you say torque, are you meaning the mounting bolts or the turbo housing clamp that holds the two turbo sections together?
Thanks for checking out the video btw.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 2003 6.0. I’m running into a strange kinda grinding noise.

Just a little back ground on it, last week I tore it down to replace with oem oil cooler.. I also took the turbo apart and did a cleaning on the veins. The install went pretty good and went back together pretty quickly. However, when at idle (intermittently) it has this kinda soft grinding noise. The best way I can explain the noise is the sound of a truck kinda creeping forward while braking on a hill, especially when you have weight kinda pushing you. Hope that makes sense.

The truck will only produce about 17 lbs of boost. It also makes this noise right at take off and also when coming to a stop. What do you guys think? Turbo and y pipe not seated? Exhaust leak? Or maybe something to do with the turbo. The odd thing is when the noise is going, I can press on the brake and it stops for a second but then comes right back it. So weird.

thanks in advance to everyone!
Mine has done that for along as I've owned it. There could be a small gap in one of your boots holding all the pipes together. Or your egr valve is going. Honestly there's no way to identify a noise with the 6.0 because anything that's broke makes the same noise and if it's not broke it still makes a noise. They are noise producers. I have also learned unless you pull the motor out and literally redo and clean everything and anything that's damaged is replaced you're going to hear different noises. They are torqued and put tight and made never to move again when assembled. They are a pain in the ass. If it ain't broke don't fix it. If it's leaking oil it's got oil. AND IF ITS DIRTY LEAVE IT DIRTYYY they run better.

·
Registered
2006 F250, 6.0 powerstroke
22 Posts
I believe so? It was my first time though. When you say torque, are you meaning the mounting bolts or the turbo housing clamp that holds the two turbo sections together?
Thanks for checking out the video btw.
Turbo band clamp. The mounting bolts should not hurt anything as long as their tight. The up pipes can be problematic once disturbed. Only you know what’s normal for your truck. Trust your own instincts as to this situation is a problem or just a rattle in the heats shields, etc. video is great help but not the same as being there in person.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You know I’m starting to think it’s the turbo. The delay right before it spools and right as it’s coming down from rpm make me think that’s my target. I’m heading out for a weekend with the family with the rv. When I get back I’ll to tear the turbo apart and check the egr cooler connection, up pipe, and exhaust sides of the turbo. I’ll post back Monday or Tuesday with results

You guys are great and thanks so much for the input. I’ll be sure and post back and hopefully help someone in the future

1 - 12 of 12 Posts