Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last few days I noticed that when I decelerate it sounds like the turbo is making a noise that sounds like its rubbing at lower RPM's. It still spools up without noise and the boost is good. Anyone had this issue? Any tips or suggestions? Oh yea, 08 6.4 no bad history Bill in KY

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
If it sounds like the 'Whoop whoop whoop' noise Moe or Curly or whatever Stooge that was when you get off a hard acceleration I have the same issue and had it since new. The diesel tech at my dealer (all management and company scared and oriented brownnosers/liars) said 'no worries' just like they did about other issues. So I dont know. This truck only has 25k on it ('08) so time will tell if it's the turbo impeller resonating within the bearing and making a 'wobble' or what.

After going through the nonsense with the 6.4's and these even worse 6.7's I really miss my 7.3's

·
Registered
119 Posts
The whoop whoop whoop noise you hear when you let off from a hard acceleration is actually boost pressure surging back through the turbo since the turbo setup on our trucks don't have a waste gate there's nowhere for that unused air to go except back the way it came ... I've accidentally let off horribly fast while pushing 47psi and actually made the turbos "bark" loud screech noise definitely not healthy for the turbo... Best way to get ride of this is to add a wastegate setup but not really a must unless you plan on pushing extra fuel or bigger turbos... As far as a rubbing noise I'd definitely check for play in the shafts of the turbos to make sure nothing's loose

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread, but the last post about the turbo pressure hitting a wall and blasting back hit my curiosity... You said there's no waste gate for unusable pressure. Where does the gas for regen get teed or wyed off to clear out the DPF? Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it not turbo gas/pressure that runs this function? I remember one of my complaints under warranty was how my truck was always going into regen at which time the shown turbo pressure would bounce all over and the exhaust tone would change to that of a vehicle with a hole in the exhaust. Dealer told me it's normal, and the DPF basically 'runs' off the turbo. All that said, wouldn't this provide the bleedover 'gate' which could serve to vent that harmful trapped boost?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts