Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 Ford F-350 6.0 dually. this weekend i was pulling 14k behind me and i whenever i get to a hill the egt goes up to like 1200-1300. trucks stock besides 4 inch sliver line turbo back exhaust no cat. if i hold that temp for any amount of time the turbo makes a screeching noise. as soon as i let off and get back into it it goes away but comes back in a few seconds. unless i keep it under 1200 degrees. Is it my turbo going bad? I just think the temps are a little high for a stock truck with aftermarket exhaust. Also my truck pukes alot like it soaks the wheel well to the point it drips off my mudflap on the driver side. Dealer told me that was a bad cap 181 bucks, I have to take it back to see if they will do headgaskets.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I bet that noise you are hearing is the degas cap relieving extra pressure. most likely headgaskets, not turbo. I bought a new cap for 10 bucks a while ago. also you might want to look into getting headstuds and an egr delete while they are in there. You have warrenty left?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
80,000 miles. i have warranty til 144,000. Also this is a way difference noise then the degas cap. that makes noise all the time. I just had it in the garage for that about a month ago. they replaced the cap. fixed it for a lil bit. now its back to the normal puking.

·
Registered
652 Posts
80,000 miles. i have warranty til 144,000. Also this is a way difference noise then the degas cap. that makes noise all the time. I just had it in the garage for that about a month ago. they replaced the cap. fixed it for a lil bit. now its back to the normal puking.
I'm thinking it HG, oil cooler, EGR, and a turbo rebuild. Keep us updated!
2 stroker

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well today i pulled the hose off the turbo to check for play. turbo has no play up down in out. spins nice and free, also pulled the egr valve out and that had a little soot on it but worked easily so i cleaned it up real good and put it back in. Next thing i'm leading to is belts squealing when the fan goes to kick on sometimes but it don't sound like belts but i'll try anything before i have to take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have a 05 Ford F-350 6.0 dually. this weekend i was pulling 14k behind me and i whenever i get to a hill the egt goes up to like 1200-1300. trucks stock besides 4 inch sliver line turbo back exhaust no cat. if i hold that temp for any amount of time the turbo makes a screeching noise. as soon as i let off and get back into it it goes away but comes back in a few seconds. unless i keep it under 1200 degrees. Is it my turbo going bad? I just think the temps are a little high for a stock truck with aftermarket exhaust. Also my truck pukes alot like it soaks the wheel well to the point it drips off my mudflap on the driver side. Dealer told me that was a bad cap 181 bucks, I have to take it back to see if they will do headgaskets.
After think about it the noise may be the clutch fan kicking in but i think if you have a new cap and it puking it must be HG. You may be lifting the heads and the exhaust is getting in or the oil cooler is bad and it is building up heat or the egr cooler is bad is there any white smoke. When i pull my 5er 14000 lbs my EGT will run 1200 deg you can't keep from it and mine is 100% stock.
2 stroker

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well truck runs a little better after tightened clamps on air filter side and cleaning the egr valve. 2 of them were loose all the way. doesn't boost as much before it would boost 30 even. now i am only seeing 27-28 but the truck is a little snappier. Why would that cause that? And yes the truck does smoke a lil bit at times. not all the time tho. Like once in a while when i go to take off it does and sometimes at a top of a hill when i let off it blows a lil white smoke. Also il been smelling alot of oil burning lately and the engine has spots of oil all over under the turbo and what not. Mainly after towing or running it hard it smells like oil burning.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know exactly what your talking about with the screaching noise because mine just started doing it too. Wish I knew what it was. It only does it when I am pulling heavy and on a long hill when egts are higher for a long period. Its definetly something mechanical happening and not a pressure thing. I have 100,000 miles on my 2004. turbo is good shape, full egr delete, banks intercooler, intake, exhaust, edge platinum, head studs. Please let me know if you figure anything out.

·
Smoke Blowin Stroker
53 Posts
Mine makes the same noise I swore it was metal rubbing together but I found it to be the Y pipe on the back of the motor that feeds the exhaust inlet on the turbo. The little flex sections on it like to crack. Take a look up at it from under the truck mine has soot everywhere back there I just aint taken the time to fix it yet lol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i came to find out it was just the belt slipping and squealing when the fan went to come on. Would of never thought it would be it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
You need to scan the truck and see what your EOT and ECT are.
Ding ding ding...we have a winner. If your truck is puking that bad it may be a clogged oil cooler causing a loss of coolant flow to the egr cooler. When you pull high egt temps like pulling a hill while towing the high temps flash boil what coolant is in the egr cooler causing the truck to puke. It may also have affected your head gaskets since you continue to run the truck like this.

Why doesn't every 6.0 owner monitor their ECT and EOT. If they ever are more than 15 degrees apart your oil cooler is clogged and you need to fix it. If not you get exactly what is happening to the OP's truck.

And this is part of the reason the 6.0 gets a bad rap.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i got the truck tore apart right now. Ford told me bad cap again and i told him no way i just got that replaced so they looked into it and the egr and oil cooler are starting to. they wanted 2200 to do it so im replacing the oil cooler and egr cooler but i am welding the ends shut on the egr cooler so it can not get exhaust thur it. would i benefit cutting the scoop out of the up pipe to. I have to keep it looking stock due to warranty and head gaskets are covered.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The new one i am welding the ends up on. the old one is most likely plugged some what. Do any of you guys know if it would throw a code if i stop exhaust flow. my other post i have. the one guy threw a code when he blocked the exhaust flow on his 05.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The new one i am welding the ends up on. the old one is most likely plugged some what. Do any of you guys know if it would throw a code if i stop exhaust flow. my other post i have. the one guy threw a code when he blocked the exhaust flow on his 05.

They will all throw a soft code for EGR flow. The 03 and 04's will generally not get a check engine light though, but the 05 and up will.

·
It wasn't me
1,232 Posts
IDK what you are paying for a new one just to weld on buy you can buy one form BPD for $350...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts