Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have an 04 excursion with the 6.0 165k. I was getting no boost at all. I took my turbo apart and the vanes were stuck. I clean them all up, but one of the posts that holds a vane broke. I went ahead and reinstalled it, so I could at least have transportation. Now, I ’m having a very slow boost - like 20 seconds at full throttle till the boost kicks in. I made a pressure tester to check for boost leaks, and it just goes straight out my tail pipe when I put air to it. Do you think the one missing vane will cause it to leak by straight out the tail pipe? I am pressure testing straight on the turbo where the air cleaner tube goes.

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,218 Posts
Those vanes guide the exhaust flow across the exhaust wheel. Did it not damage the wheel when it broke? Those vanes just affect the velocity (and energy) of the exhaust gas across the wheel. They do not "seal" anything.

Do you still have an active EGR system? Ie - is any of your exhaust gas still directed back to the intake?

You still have a catalytic converter?

·
Administrator
33,237 Posts
you are pumping air as a test down the turbo intake , and it comes out the exhaust pipe and are concerend ?

not really a good test

you cleaned a no boost turbo and now you get slow boost but it resembled missing a vane

why are we having this conversation ?
Order a few more parts and fix the issue or get a new Garrett OEM turbo for 700.oo ish

then if you have issues post up

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those vanes guide the exhaust flow across the exhaust wheel. Did it not damage the wheel when it broke? Those vanes just affect the velocity (and energy) of the exhaust gas across the wheel. They do not "seal" anything.

Do you still have an active EGR system? Ie - is any of your exhaust gas still directed back to the intake?

You still have a catalytic converter?
Thanks for the reply. The post broke wile I was removing it to clean it. I do have an egr valve which was recently replace. Also, I do have the cat converter as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you are pumping air as a test down the turbo intake , and it comes out the exhaust pipe and are concerend ?

not really a good test

you cleaned a no boost turbo and now you get slow boost but it resembled missing a vane

why are we having this conversation ?
Order a few more parts and fix the issue or get a new Garrett OEM turbo for 700.oo ish

then if you have issues post up
Thanks. I was performing this test based on a couple YouTube videos I watched. When they put air to it, the pressure took a while to bleed down. I was just looking for reassurance before I spent $700 on a turbo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts