Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 7.3 that only builds 16 pounds of boost, i have got to near smash the pedal to the floor to build any boost at all, the truck really lacks power! i was looking at it last night and noticed there is a leak @ my y pipe on the back of my turbo i tore into it and hope to get it replaced today! my intercooler boots look ok! i sprayed ether around them and the truck didnt rev up? dont know if this test is sufficient? i have been told there is a waste gate upgrade to get the turbo to put out its max 25 psi? i have a BD 6 position programmer, 4" down pipe, 5" straight out the back, air raid intake, boost fooler,do you think injectors could be my problem? not enough fuel?? I have been told the early style van turbo is a better turbo & can build over 30 pounds of boost, is this turbo better than a SD turbo?? Any info you could give me would be a grat help> I have got to figure something out the truck is just worthless the way it is?

·
Buffalo Diesel
280 Posts
With the tuner, stock injectors and no leaks you should see at least 25psi on the stock turbo. Maybe even 28.

Don't throw a turbo on it to see the results you should be seeing with the stock charger.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
My up pipes were leaking and now that they are fixed with my dp in 40T with my 12K+ toyhauler I push about 26-27 psi with the small early 99 turbo. Get everything fixed first. Spraying on the boots is useless there is pressure in the tube so the spray will never enter the sys. If you are concerned about the boots remove them, clean them an replace making sure the clamps are tight. But if your up pipes are leaking thats where you are loosing it. When my truck was stock, no tuner exh etc, it would push about 17 psi. Just my $.02. Here is what my pipes looked like when they came off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have it all torn down & ordered new intercooler boots & up pipe gaskets! Thanks for your help & advise, when the parts come & i get them installed i will get back with you guys & give you a update! any advise on the van turbo vs the SD turbo??

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Look at the pic I posted. If yours look like that replace the pipes also. They would have never sealed. Those were originals with 135K miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mine do not look like that!! looks like an egt or 2 sliped passed those things?? lol... In a little better inspection of my turbo on the bench i seen quite a few hair line cracks inside the turbo housing & a few missing bolts from where the compressor bolts to the turbine< there was also allot of red sealant on everything?? in my field i would call it cat green? not sure what it is? so i think someone had problems with this truck before??

·
Genius, when I drink
1,295 Posts
Sure sounds like it. I had the same issue with my stock turbo when I swapped on a 1.0 exhaust housing.....I lost 2 bolts. The bolts are 5/16 fine thread if need to find some, not sure exactly how long they are. I'm on a trip for work right now and have no way to measure the extras I have. Make sure you get them TIGHT when you replace them, might even want to put a cheater bar on your wrench when you tighten them down.

Good luck and welcome to The Nation!

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
The sd exducer is 67.73mm and the van turbo is 69.84.As for the wastegate you could look into a Turbomaster from Dieselsite.

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts

·
The Oracle
2,777 Posts
mine do not look like that!! looks like an egt or 2 sliped passed those things?? lol... In a little better inspection of my turbo on the bench i seen quite a few hair line cracks inside the turbo housing & a few missing bolts from where the compressor bolts to the turbine< there was also allot of red sealant on everything?? in my field i would call it cat green? not sure what it is? so i think someone had problems with this truck before??
Did i miss something?
i think so

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Wait, so you have cracks in the housing itself? Or in the wheel? You can buy either, If I were to get a new housing it would be 1.0. If it needs a new wheel, just get a wicked wheel.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
If anything on the turbo has cracks, replace that part.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i would not have seen the small cracks other than i was porting the y pipe & the housing its self?? they are very fine cracks inside, nothing out side or working through?? I would really like some info on wether the van turbo is a better application than the SD turbo?? also what all would i have to swap to make this turbo work?? Thanks guys!!

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts