Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
NIX-350
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice or thoughts....
Although I have not reason to take the turbo apart..I figure with all the issue I read about that I thought I might take it apart and clean it up a bit..or at least take a look at the shape it's in. Can anyone rate the difficulty...I don't have a shop..but my garage will suffice. Doesnt seem difficult to tear down and but will it throw any codes or anything upon re-assemble, or once clean, would it run normally???? My fear is that I'll strip it down give it a good cleaning, put it back together and then it runs like crap!! What say you???

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
the rear turbo bolt is cheese, even if it is the horizontal one.... if not, use a shallow 10MM with a medium length extention and 3/8 socket wrench.... whatever you do, done lube the vanes..... alot of people do this... than they make me alot of money

·
NIX-350
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the rear turbo bolt is cheese, even if it is the horizontal one.... if not, use a shallow 10MM with a medium length extention and 3/8 socket wrench.... whatever you do, done lube the vanes..... alot of people do this... than they make me alot of money
would "sticking" vanes or something like that cause loss of power and smokin when you "floor" it...when it just comes to temp? Once done smokin and chokin for a few minutes at idle, then fine...?????? thoughts on this, I've got some other post in more detail, but its whats recently happened... thoughts??

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
yes... there are quite a few symptoms to it... take it out cold and heavy accel and let off quick... does it fart?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
would it be safe to assume that this process would work on an aftermarket turbo? (elite ssx?)

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
When you say don't lube the vanes... would that include not using anti-seize on them? I've seen conflicting stories, and I need to pull my turbo this weekend to clean.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The anti-seize is used on the back side of the unison ring, and not the vanes.
You want the ring to be able to move freely but do not want to throw anything onto the vanes themselves. They way they fit they do not need the lube.

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
I wouldnt put any lube anywhere
I know this is what Ford says to do, so was just wondering your personal opinion. International says to do it... diesel technician society says use at your own discretion, so they recommend it without actually saying it... just trying to see what others do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts