Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site and i was hoping to get some input on my project. i have a 2001 7.3 f350 4x4 dually. i am doing a number of things to try and get the most out my truck. Im not looking for high performance, just maximum efficiency. it has 370,000 mi. and still runs pretty good despite what it needs. This is what i plan on doing: installing 230* thermo and housing, melling lpop, hpop, ebpv delete pedestal, wicked wheel & turbo rebuild, ipr rebuild, new oil cooler, injector sleeves and injector orings, glow plugs and filter maintenance/oil etc. my project started with tracking down an oil leak (which ended up being from turbo pedestal, and oil cooler), figuring out what was causing my hard starts, and trying to eliminate the engine vibration when driving at lower rpms (seems to be turbo related) i had the truck plugged up and checked by diesel tech who says my compression and things like that seem to be really great despite the miles on it. so I am just giving the ol truck a much needed maintenance job. I wanted to get some feedback on the pics of my turbo to start with to see what was going on with the oil in it.. it seems to me it should be a little cleaner. i want to understand the way the powerstroke works so that i may better diagnose problems myself and know what parts affect or control other parts.. mostly knowledge of understanding. anything helps and thanks for your time!

·
Registered
118 Posts
You know that you have to pull the motor to get the oil pan off right?...for the lpop. If you go to that kind of trouble I would be dropping in another motor with a lot less miles. That is unless your the original owner and know for a fact that every one of those miles were on the highway....if it was in town you've got a good one to last with that many hours of run time on it....needless to say I personally know only one person with over 400k miles that were 95% in town with still the original auto tranny to boot. Wish I had that kind of luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what i found when tearing down. let me know what you guys think

[/URL][/IMG]

the pedestal:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you dont have to pull the pan to change the lpop. its right behind the dampener and crank pulley, external to the block held on with 4 bolts. shouldn't be an all day event. My thoughts are that since the truck is stock and hasnt been torn into with almost 400k miles, that it is a good one. it still has plenty of get up so i want to see just how far it will go if for no other reason, but a testimony to the powerstroke name. show me a cummins with half a million miles on it completely stock.. lol

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The oil in the turbo is normal. It's from the ccv . If there isn't any excessive end shaft play on the turbo put a ww2 on there and call it a day. You can rebuild it if you want since the high mileage for peace of mind.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The oil in the turbo is normal. It's from the ccv . If there isn't any excessive end shaft play on the turbo put a ww2 on there and call it a day. You can rebuild it if you want since the high mileage for peace of mind.
This^^^

Look into the CCV mod. It removes the vent from the intake tract and you then have a breather that runs down below the truck instead of into the engine.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
As said before, you don't need to pull the oil pan to do the lpop. And that oil in the turbo intake is from the ccv. Also, when you pull the injectors, look the cups over good before replacing them. Lot of guys have had issues replacing them when not needed. Have to make sure you clean the surfaces good before reinstalling them. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is zero play in the shaft, side to side or in and out. it is tightly housed so i suspect the oilers and spacer are still good. it doesnt spin as free as i'd like so I'm going to go ahead and rebuild it while its out with a 6 blade wheel and the 360* thrust bearing kit. Also the battery/intake cover was missing for the air intake and the air filter was long overdue to be changed and caked with crud so i think that may have played a part in getting all that trash in the system.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
There is zero play in the shaft, side to side or in and out. it is tightly housed so i suspect the oilers and spacer are still good. it doesnt spin as free as i'd like so I'm going to go ahead and rebuild it while its out with a 6 blade wheel and the 360* thrust bearing kit. Also the battery/intake cover was missing for the air intake and the air filter was long overdue to be changed and caked with crud so i think that may have played a part in getting all that trash in the system.
You should look into a tymar intake. Its Good and some what cheap.

·
Registered
118 Posts
you dont have to pull the pan to change the lpop. its right behind the dampener and crank pulley, external to the block held on with 4 bolts. shouldn't be an all day event. My thoughts are that since the truck is stock and hasnt been torn into with almost 400k miles, that it is a good one. it still has plenty of get up so i want to see just how far it will go if for no other reason, but a testimony to the powerstroke name. show me a cummins with half a million miles on it completely stock.. lol

Your right...my brain wasn't functioning properly...was just on a gas truck forum and was still thinking the same way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anybody have any tips for getting the two clamps on the back side of the turbo off? Mine are unthreading just fine but the clamps themselves will not budge. I appreciate the help. thanks

·
Registered
633 Posts
1/2 can pb blaster. Walk away for 30. Smack with a pry bar mallet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1/2 can pb blaster. Walk away for 30. Smack with a pry bar mallet.
Thanks for the tip, worked out great! Id like to know a little more about your truck. Do you have any pics or work done that is posted that i could check out being that we have the same truck? thanks

·
Registered
633 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts